• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spy App??

mrbarryk

Lurker
Mar 7, 2012
Anyone familiar or heard of anything regarding a spyware app that can be installed remotely (on Android OS platforms or other) and can access contacts, texts, and even GPS location? I know there are apps out there that have the ability to do this, but are there any that can be installed remotely without access to the phone? IE, sending a text, an attachment, a phone call, etc.

I apologize if this seems like an ignorant question, but I have a good friend who is going through an ugly divorce and suspects her ex is tracking her and she wants to research it before she brings a false accusation to the police. I told her that I would look into it, but I have not been able to find anything.

Any help?

Thanks everyone!

Yes it's possible, although unlikely.

In any event, if your friend has any reason to suspect this then she should seek advice from her network carrier or a professional repair service; personal safety and security is way too important to be trusted to anonymous sources on a web forum.

Besides, it's almost impossible to offer advice with no physical access to the device, or knowing which device is involved for that matter.

Upvote 0
... I apologize if this seems like an ignorant question, but I have a good friend who is going through an ugly divorce and suspects her ex is tracking her and she wants to research it before she brings a false accusation to the police. I told her that I would look into it, but I have not been able to find anything. ...

Easy to check this out. Just get here to leave her phone at home and use a basic Nokia or something with a different number when she's out. If things are that bad this will be no problem.

Dave

Upvote 0
I hate to break it to you but you can’t install a spy app remotely, especially on Android phones. However, there are some apps that you can install on an iPhone, without the phone. Apps like Xnspy require the iCloud credentials to monitor everything that goes on the phone. So by accessing iCloud, you can view messages, photos, contacts, etc. Since the data on an iPhone is backed up on the cloud, it is the only way you can spy on a phone, without physical access.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones