• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stability - Epic vs. Evo 4G

Martoon

Lurker
Mar 28, 2011
I just got an Epic about a week ago. I have some stability issues with it, and inconsistent internet connectivity.

When running different apps, it locks up every so often, and I have to soft reset. Qik Video locks it up every time.

The internet connectivity often goes away. I'll have 4 to 6 bars on 3G (I don't have 4G in my area), so I have a good signal, but apps will suddenly not have access to the internet. I have to soft reset to get it back.

Also, the data speed seems really slow a lot of the time. My previous phone was a Mogul (Windows Mobile), and the phone sucked, but the data speed was faster than this one often is.

Did I just get a bad unit? Or is this typical for the Epic? How does the stability compare to the Evo 4G?

I'm trying to decide if I should switch to the Evo (since I'm in my initial 30 days). I don't care about the hardware keyboard - I generally use the onscreen keyboard anyway (I'd be going for the Evo, not the Shift). I do play games on it quite often, but not many 3D games, so the 3D acceleration shouldn't be an issue.

I do plan to root my phone and hack it a bit, if that makes any difference in the decision.

I suspect an app. Hard reset. Still have the issue? No. Don't load any app that directly messes with the system like antivirus or task killers.
I can't think of any apps I installed that would have messed with the system, unless maybe Pandora does. Other than that, just a couple games. I did bring it to the Sprint store, and they updated it to EC05, but I still had stability issues. Since then, I've rooted it and installed some system-centric apps, but I was having the issues before that.

Anyway, I just did a hard reset. I'll use it like this (before installing anything) for a while, and see if I still have any problems.

I talked to a friend with an Evo 4G yesterday, and he said he's had the same kind of random stability issues, so I'm guessing I'd be no better with the Evo. I'm still considering switching, though, since I like the bigger screen on the Evo, and I never use the slide-out keyboard on the Epic (I love Swype!). Also, like dan330 said, the Evo is more hackable. I do like the pretty display on the Epic, though. Grrr. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones