• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Standard media file structure

Zappcatt

May 9, 2010
Has Google set "recommended" standards for folder use/placement for media?

One my 1 day old Moto Backflip, at Root level on my SD card, I already have Audio(which has Music, Recorded Audio and Tones subfolders), media(which has an audio subfolder), and Music.

I have not installed any third party music(except Ringdroid) or video players and am already wondering where i should put mp3s, videos, etc.

Thanks for any info.
Zack

Android doesn't care where the files are, it will find them. Lay out the folders in a way that's easy for you. If you have files showing up in your media player or photo gallery that you don't want (like ringtones or other ruckus), put them in a separate folder and create a blank text file in the folder called .nomedia or add a . to the beginning of the file and it will not get added to the media selection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones