• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Steampunk - what should I read.

Steampunk isn't really my genre, but an obvious suggestion would be "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling - cyberpunk pioneers who arguably kick-started the steampunk genre with this particular piece of alternate history.

Anti-Ice by Stephen Baxter should qualify too: a steam-powered Victorian world fuelled by an exotic antimatter-containing mineral rather than coal is pretty much the definition of steampunk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
mortal engines by phillip reeve which was made into a movie by the same title. the movie was backed by peter jackson and was entertaining, but not great.

obviously the book is way better.....and is very steampunk!!!!!

I believe the movie bombed, made a huge loss, and any planned sequels were cancelled. It was OK, just way too much obvious CGI. But that's a common problem with movies in general now

One of my favourite steampunk themed movies is Wild Wild West.

If one hasn't done so already, read Jules Verne and H G Wells, the authors that basically defined the genre, long before it was even called steampunk.

Upvote 0
I believe the movie bombed, made a huge loss, and any planned sequels were cancelled. It was OK, just way too much obvious CGI. But that's a common problem with movies in general now

One of my favourite steampunk themed movies is Wild Wild West.

If one hasn't done so already, read Jules Verne and H G Wells, the authors that basically defined the genre, long before it was even called steampunk.
Oh it did indeed. Shame really as it could have been great, like you said way to much cgi. One of the most interesting bits of the film were those borrower types in the desert that tunnel underground. Great characters and interesting plot. If there was more elements like that I would have enjoyed the film more.

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Kindle or GTFO lol
I have an e-ink Kindle - rarely bother reading on a phone (where my current ereader app is Lithium, though I have Moon+ installed as well).

But I also sideload everything on it, after format conversion if needed and DRM removal on principle (that's legal in the UK as long as you don't redistribute). I never turn the WiFi on as I see no reason why amazon should know what I read and when.

Upvote 0
I have an e-ink Kindle - rarely bother reading on a phone (where my current ereader app is Lithium, though I have Moon+ installed as well).

But I also sideload everything on it, after format conversion if needed and DRM removal on principle (that's legal in the UK as long as you don't redistribute). I never turn the WiFi on as I see no reason why amazon should know what I read and when.

No clue why I leave wifi on for real, I like that it syncs between devices, but I NEVER read on anything else. I have TONS sideloaded, which Amazon syncs a lot of those across devices as well. I will say, with WiFi on my Oasis gets atrocious battery life.

Upvote 0
I'll bear that in mind. I was thinking that I'd buy an Oasis if they provided one important update, but they updated today and didn't include it.

(The update is USB-C rather than microUSB-A. May not be a big deal to many, but as I see it microUSB is a legacy port and I want to phase it out, so I don't want to buy any more microUSB devices).

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I'll bear that in mind. I was thinking that I'd buy an Oasis if they provided one important update, but they updated today and didn't include it.

(The update is USB-C rather than microUSB-A. May not be a big deal to many, but as I see it microUSB is a legacy port and I want to phase it out, so I don't want to buy any more microUSB devices).

I am SOOOOOOO with you there. It's a damn travesty that in 2019 my $250 Kindle is still using Micro. When I travel, that is the only reason I need to being my micro cable. So stupid.

That said, I read a bit last night and apparently others have had battery life issues, and Amazon have replaced their kindles, which helped. I may be reaching out to Amazon and see what's what.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones