• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock digital clock HTC HD2 android 2.3.5

Rojofo

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Hi to All,
I am a new user here and don't have much experience of Android. :)

I have an old HTC HD2 on android 2.3.5. :rolleyes:

My problem is that I cannot get the stock digital clock to display on the home page. This clock appears at times but frustratingly only irregularly, fleetingly and unpredictably when making some other adjustments such as alarm times.

But I cannot find it in the widgets menu so I cannot install it on the home page.
All I can find in the widget menu is the analogue clock which does not suit me.

I have installed various other clocks which are ok but my phone has a very small memory (512ko, I think) and I would rather use the stock clock which is fine by me (at least from the fleeting glances I have had of it!) and it will not take up memory space.

The stock digital clock can't have been deleted as it sometimes appears (as I mentioned above). How can I find it?:thinking:

Any help on this simple but frustrating problem would be much appreciated.

Rojofo.

More details !

I apologize for adding more detail to what is certainly a very basic question!

However, I should explain that I have a "clock" widget on my home page which opens up to the stock clock that I want but I cannot get that clock on my home page in a stable way. When I open the widget menu, the only clock that appears that I could install is the analogue clock. I don't know how to make the widget that is on my home page into a stable digital clock which always appears on that page. At the present time, I can only access the stock clock by pressing on the widget but the clock disappears when I go back to the home page. The widget is on the home page but not the display of the clock itself.

I wonder if this makes my question clearer ? Lol ! Thank you for your patience! I know this is probably simple, but I can't do it!

Thanks in advance for all advice,
Rojofo.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your replies.

This HTC HD2 is a kind of "heritage phone" for which there are many fans. I was given it by a friend who no longer used it. These phones have often been hacked for Android —even Kit Kat I've been told.

So it does run on basic Android 2.3.5. and I imagine that this is a simple Android problem. But, as I said, I am a beginner in Android with very little experience.

Having spent some hours trying to understand what is happening, I see that not all the applications on the "All" list (ie the list of all the applications on the phone, I suppose) appear on the "add to home page" menu which comes up when I hard press the home page screen. Is this normal??

In any case, the clock does not appear on this "add to home page" menu — I mean the clock does not appear on the widget list which is inside this "add to home page" menu. There are other things including the analog clock and clocks that I have downloaded from the Google store but not the stock clock. I find this strange.

Would it be possible to download the stock clock separately? I haven't been able to find it in the Google store. The version I have is 2.0.2 and it takes up 16k of memory.

Any advice or help would be welcome.
Rojofo.

Upvote 0
It has been a long time ... I checked 2.3.4 for you on my Droid X. It does not have a standard Digital clock.

I use Fancy Widgets from play store for a digital clock/launch pad. You might want to check it out. It is at ... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.fancywidgets&hl=en.

Some apps you find in Play Store will not run on your phone because of the older version of the operating system that you are using. In Play Store when looking at an app scan to Additional Information and look at Requires Android.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Thom, thank you very much for taking the trouble to get this information about the absence of a digital clock on 2.3.4...... but my HTC is running 2.3.5.
Is this the same as far as the clock is concerned ?

My digital clock is not on the list of "downloaded" applications. It is on the list of "all applications" so I assumed it was the stock clock.

It has no other source information on it, so I thought it was the stock clock. It is just called "clock" with no references to other third party developers.

It runs perfectly on 2.3.5, but I cannot get it on the home page which is its natural place.

I would, of course rather use what I have (if possible) than download another clock since I have a very, very tiny basic memory (512k, I think) and have problems of memory management.

Tell me what you think.

Thank you once again for your advice,
Rojofo.

Upvote 0
Thom, thanks for this reply. My problem is that I have done just that. But when you "add to home page" it is the widget that appears on the home page, not the clock. The little black widget does not give the time and only allows one to open the application with the time.

What I want is not the widget but the clock itself with the time!

Upvote 0
Moodyblues, thank you for your reply.

The clock is not the type of digital clock that comes with the HTC. That HTC clock has a very specific look imitating the very first digital clocks with fall-down numbers. The clock that I have is a very standard type digital clock.

As for its origin, I don't know. But I can see that it is simply called "clock" and there is no indication of a specific developer's name or brand. It is version 2.0.2 and uses a total memory space of 16.00 Ko. It is on the list of "all applications" and not on the list of "downloaded applications". This is why I believe it is part of the android "stock".

When I press on the widget, the clock appears on a separate application page, but this page has the same background as my home page. It is not a home page though and you cannot move directly to the home pages with the widgets etc. on them. You have to leave the clock page to go back to home. This is quite annoying of course.
I do not now how to make screen shots so I have taken regular photos of the clock page and will try to upload them with this reply.
The image insertion was not succesful unfortunatly. When I press the button at the top of this message to insert an image, I get a pop-up that requires a URL !!! My photos are not internet material, sad to say, so apparently, I can't send them.

Any more help would be much appreciated.
Rojofo.

Rojofo.

Upvote 0
Thom, thanks for this reply. My problem is that I have done just that. But when you "add to home page" it is the widget that appears on the home page, not the clock. The little black widget does not give the time and only allows one to open the application with the time.

What I want is not the widget but the clock itself with the time!

What you are describing is not a widget. A widget is a special case. It is an object that is created by an app. An app may have zero or many widgets.

The thing you are looking at is apparently an app called Clock that is (my guess) used to control the alarm, set the time, and have a count down timer. It is not a clock widget.

As mentioned before I use ... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.fancywidgets&hl=en ... for the purpose you identified. You pointed out you don't have the memory space for a third-party app for this purpose. I think the conclusion is inescapable.

... Thom

Reactions: Rojofo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones