• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stop new email notification sound

cmonster

Jan 11, 2010
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is new activity or if it's been happening all along since I got my DX2 2 days ago but I can't find the setting to stop it.
When I get a new email in my Gmail Priority inbox the phone is putting a notification on my alert bar AND making a sound. The icon is great. The sound, not so much. How do I stop it?

Also, is there a way to change the color the LED blinks when I have new email the same way I can for new txts? What about for and other notifications? Is there an app that does that or is it an app by app thing?

Thanks!
Charlie

Moto Droid X2 on OTA Gingerbread rooted

After searching the forums again for this, I found an answer on a very old thread started in 2009. The settings for the gmail app have changed and turning off the sound for just new email notifications is buried. But it's doable.

I have the HTC G2 Andriod and this thread helped me get on the right track, but I never found a complete answer to turning off the email sound notifications. Not sure why HTC hides this so well. I finally figured it out, so here it is:

Click on your Gmail icon.
Press "Menu"
Select "More"
Select "Settings"
Select the email address you'd like to change (eg yourname@gmail.com)
Select "Lables to Notify"
Hit the dropdown arrow next to "Inbox"
Select "Ringtone" and then select "Silent".

Reactions: Scur
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones