• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Storage Space and Windows... Why can't it be like Android???

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
This has been a ongoing problem for me and my desktop computer. The problem is that I have a 64 GB SSD that I intended to ONLY use as for the Operating System.

EVERY time I downloaded Software, I chose to install it to my 1 TB HDD because it has more storage and I wanted to keep storage on my SSD free and only have the OS on there, just so things would run fast.

HOWEVER, THOUGH I NEVER INSTALLED ANYTHING ON THE SSD I have no disk space on this SSD. BUT I NEVER SAVED ANYTHING TO THE DRIVE

This is what I HATE about Windows. They install millions of files on drives I don't want them to, without my permission, or without me knowing at all. That I why I like Android and iOS BETTER than traditional PC, because there's no BS on mobile OS's. None. So, why the heck am I out of space when I don't save anything to the drive?

Before you go to mention, I checked every visible file on my /C drive. From what I can tell, their all hidden. /C/Users/Curtis (ME) says 20 GB are being used. When I open up every folder in this section, their all empty.

This is what WILL make me stop using Windows altogether. Android is not too far from becoming that powerful. (It may already be there, I don't know)

I know, I know! :hello: Because Android is Linux, and windows isn't?

So, why is it that Windows creates unnecessary files on my computer? Do I really need all these Visual C++ and SQL files on my computer? I don't even know where they came from. I feel that if I uninstall them all, that things wont run correctly on my computer so I hesitate from doing so. However, that 30 GB that SHOULD be on my SSD, 4 MB is left.

I am seriously considering just selling both my desktops and getting a Mac. (Says me... And I always HATED the Mac experience, however, when my neighbor died from cancer :(, I got his 2006 MacBook. Though the battery was broken, and it was slow as hell, the computer was a champ. And didn't install crap that wasn't necessary.

At least my Chromebook doesn't do that.

Upvote 0
So, why is it that Windows creates unnecessary files on my computer?
Because it's a crappy excuse for an OS? :hmmmm2:

Do I really need all these Visual C++ and SQL files on my computer? I don't even know where they came from. I feel that if I uninstall them all, that things wont run correctly on my computer so I hesitate from doing so. However, that 30 GB that SHOULD be on my SSD, 4 MB is left.
That is absolutely insane. Good grief, I only allocated 48GB on my newest laptop for my root partition (in Linux, that's the partition where the OS is installed, for those who don't know), and I knew that that was way overkill, but whatever, with a 1TB drive, who cares? Anyway, it's at 22% used and that's where it will remain--because unlike windows, NOTHING goes on my drive without my explicit instruction and/or permission. So although I will undoubtedly install a few more programs on my root partition, its usage will never...EVER approach its capacity.

I am seriously considering just selling both my desktops and getting a Mac. (Says me... And I always HATED the Mac experience, however, when my neighbor died from cancer :(, I got his 2006 MacBook. Though the battery was broken, and it was slow as hell, the computer was a champ. And didn't install crap that wasn't necessary.
You could. But you could get a million times better computer for a fraction of the cost if you went with Linux instead of Apple's UNIX (you do know that Apple runs UNIX, right?).

Of course not. IT'S LINUX!!! :D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
So, why is it that Windows creates unnecessary files on my computer? Do I really need all these Visual C++ and SQL files on my computer? I don't even know where they came from. I feel that if I uninstall them all, that things wont run correctly on my computer so I hesitate from doing so. However, that 30 GB that SHOULD be on my SSD, 4 MB is left.

Because Win a horrible mess, that allows programs to install all their runtimes, libraries, and any other shit anywhere they like. That's why you end up with multiple Visual C++ runtimes, and lots of other garbage, plus all the crap that every program dumps in the registry, which is one of the main causes of slowdown. OS X is much better in this respect, programs tend to be self contained. Of course on a Chromebook, you're not installing anything. :)

Upvote 0
Because it's a crappy excuse for an OS? :hmmmm2:

That is absolutely insane. Good grief, I only allocated 48GB on my newest laptop for my root partition (in Linux, that's the partition where the OS is installed, for those who don't know), and I knew that that was way overkill, but whatever, with a 1TB drive, who cares? Anyway, it's at 22% used and that's where it will remain--because unlike windows, NOTHING goes on my drive without my explicit instruction and/or permission. So although I will undoubtedly install a few more programs on my root partition, its usage will never...EVER approach its capacity.

You could. But you could get a million times better computer for a fraction of the cost if you went with Linux instead of Apple's UNIX (you do know that Apple runs UNIX, right?).

Of course not. IT'S LINUX!!! :D

Windows has built up quite a history. There's hundreds of Windows classes offered at my Community College. There's a lot that Windows can do, but I'm having second thoughts. If classes are taught on basically everything about Windows, (Like right down to the core, Windows NT, system32 crap) why is there no like Android class, or Apple class?

The thing I like about Apple is that if something like this were to happen, all I have to do is take it into the Apple store and say "This isn't right, what's taking up all my space?" and chances are they will take care of it.

That's the kind of service that I dream of Microsoft having, but they are far from it, and in the market like this, it's going to be the death of the PC.

There are certain things that I want to do that only Windows can do. Playing Skyrim, modding Skyrim. Windows is still the best OS for gaming, sadly. If I were to get a Mac, a good enough Mac, I can run Windows in parallels and still play my video games. (I hope that it will be powerful enough to play games for a few years)

That's just something that developers don't take seriously with Linux. Sorry...

I would like a laptop that I can learn Android programming on, maybe make a few apps too. I'd rather just not stay stationary here.

Upvote 0
Because Win a horrible mess, that allows programs to install all their runtimes, libraries, and any other shit anywhere they like. That's why you end up with multiple Visual C++ runtimes, and lots of other garbage, plus all the crap that every program dumps in the registry, which is one of the main causes of slowdown. OS X is much better in this respect, programs tend to be self contained. Of course on a Chromebook, you're not installing anything. :)

I just wish Google would step up their game and take Chrome OS to another level.

But in today's market, computers don't need to have a full blown OS to be a competitor. Just something to get the majority of the people online is good enough.

Upvote 0
/C/Users/Curtis (ME) says 20 GB are being used. When I open up every folder in this section, their all empty.

That's not right. /AppData/Local and /AppData/Roaming normally contain lots of program-related files specific to each user's profile, and afair most aren't 'hidden'.

Do the <USER> trees include the default libraries e.g. My Documents etc and or /temp folders? When I initially installed Win7 on this system I relocated as many of these as possible from the primary SSD to my platters, and I've long-since forgotten the default locations. :eek:

Upvote 0
I am seriously considering just selling both my desktops and getting a Mac.

There are certain things that I want to do that only Windows can do. Playing Skyrim, modding Skyrim. Windows is still the best OS for gaming, sadly. If I were to get a Mac, a good enough Mac, I can run Windows in parallels and still play my video games. (I hope that it will be powerful enough to play games for a few years)

That's just something that developers don't take seriously with Linux. Sorry...

I would like a laptop that I can learn Android programming on, maybe make a few apps too. I'd rather just not stay stationary here.

Sounds like you have a decent machine there if it contains a 1 TB HDD and a separate SSD.

Though selling and moving to Mac is one option, so would be creating a dual boot environment with Windows and Linux. You could place Windows on the 1 TB HDD and Linux on the SSD. That way you could keep Windows for your gaming needs and run the type of OS you seem to prefer for all your other needs. Just a thought as that's exactly what I do.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have a decent machine there if it contains a 1 TB HDD and a separate SSD.

Though selling and moving to Mac is one option, so would be creating a dual boot environment with Windows and Linux. You could place Windows on the 1 TB HDD and Linux on the SSD. That way you could keep Windows for your gaming needs and run the type of OS you seem to prefer for all your other needs. Just a thought as that's exactly what I do.

This! Although I only have a 750 GB HDD and no SSD, I do this exact thing so I can play my Windows games while also using Linux for most other things

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones