• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Storing Contacts in 2.2.1?

Hey everyone,
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... I'm new to this board.
Anyhow, I am currently using a Samsung Intercept on the Sprint network. I just updated to Android 2.2.1 last week and since the update, have not been able to store contacts directly to my phone. The phone option has disappeared and left me with my two GMail accounts and a YouTube account as the only options for storage. I don't want ANY of my contacts stored with GMail, et al, so what can I do to fix this? I'm sure there must be a way around it....

Your contacts are stored on the phone by default. If you don't want them to sync with a Google account, turn off sync in menu > settings > accounts and sync

If you do decide to turn off sync, you might consider regularly using a back up app for your contact database and copying the b/u file to your pc. My opinion and from loosing dumb phones in the past is that the Google account sync feature is one of the core and best features of Android. YMMV

Reactions: PianoGenius
Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification.
My confusion, I guess, is why I am required now to "Create contact under account" and am only given the option of the google accounts I have associated with the phone. Before I had a "Phone" option. That's gone and now I only have three options: Two gmail accounts and one YouTube account. I don't want my contacts associated with any of these accounts.... Those accounts don't have anything to do with how I contact people. In fact, I don't even use my personal gmail account. Is there a workaround for this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones