• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Strange charging problem

roa

Aug 11, 2009
I tried to charge my updated phone (baseband I7500XXIG8) on both car lighter charger and third party micro usb charger. When connected, the phone did not recognize that it is being charged at all - but after a while I noticed that the battery widget did show more percentage than before. Even after disconnecting, the percentage varied up and down few percent - from 80% to 85%, then (after heavy usage of 3G, wlan, gps...) jumped to 50%. The rest of discharge was also erratic, i.e. in no way was it smooth discharge curve.

I attribute this to firmware - I don't believe that my chargers cannot supply enough mA or too low voltage and that the phone does not detect it;

After discharging the phone completely (it shut down at 1%, interesting it did not want to turn on 3G under 5%) I charged it with the original charger. After ~20 minutes of charging the battery was on 55%, isn't it a bit too fast?

I'll try to cycle it few times now.

I also guess that this kind of "uncontrolled" charging can at least uncalibrate the battery if not even damage it...

This is totally unacceptable given the already bad or erratic power performance of galaxy. Not being able to charge it the car makes it unusable.

What do you think? I never heard of such problems with other microusb-charged devices...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones