• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Struggling fixing Samsung Tab 3, 7.0 WiFi

My Samsung Tab 3 is rooted by kingoroot and that worked flawlessly, I installed it using Firefox on Android.
That is, until the installation of F-secure anti virus program finished and the Tab 3 not being used for about 3 weeks.
After 3 weeks, at login into the user account things seem to go very wrong and very quick, starting with a window telling me 'program has stopped' followed by a crash and reboot. There's no way to stop/delete any app (anti virus or kingoroot) that causes the system to crash immediately and reboot again. In recovery mode I tried to wipe both user data/factory reset and cache. But nothing seem to make any changes. Next I tried to flash the appropriate Android 4.4.2 using Odin in Windows, but allthough the device is found and connected, any version fails to flash the firmware. Only version 3.07 seem to work, the flash finishes in Windows only but not on the Tab 3. I can tell because on the Tab 3, there's no statusbar that shows up during flashing. But hardware doesn't seem to be the problem, because using Heimdall does seem to flash the separate files from the extracted stock ROM. I can tell because there's a statusbar on the Tab 3 that show up during flashing. Yet I noticed differences during flashing, when flashing 'system.img' finishes, the Tab 3 immediately goes into reboot, but for all other components of that same ROM that are flashed, it took several seconds until Tab 3 reboots.
So, my guess is that at immediate reboot after flashing 'system.img' the flashed image file does not replace the installed file on the Tab 3, but is deleted instead.
That would explain as to why there's no change after flashing completes with Heimdall.
That also may explain as to why flashing with Odin in Windows fails.
Question now, is it 'kingoroot' that actively refuses any changes at flashing, or is it F-secure, or both?
How do I get rid of it?
How/where do I get an untouched full version of Android 4.1.2 JB as to Android 4.4.2 KK seem to be an update version only.

Last edited:
Like TWRP or CWM, no ...
Whatever I try to do, after reboot ... no changes in behaviour, except for the date and time settings.
I also tried to flash TWRP and CWM versions using Odin in Windows, that failed.
Using the ROM stock from 'external storage' in the recovery mode didn't do the trick either, after reboot there's no changes in behaviour, except the date/time being reset, that's about all.
Installing TWRP and CWM versions using external storage in recovery mode, that failed with 'signature verification' error.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As it seems, Android 4.4.2 is an upgrade only, so to reinstall you would need Android version 4.1.2 which I also tried.
I also tried several cables, also USB 2.0 but none of that seem to do the trick.
Yet I found that neither version of Odin I tried worked for me, they all (except 3.07) give some vague errors.
Version 3.07 finishes successfully on Windows only, but not on the tablet, as I can tell because no status bar is visible on Tab3 during flashing process.
I'm sure of the cabling, because using Heimdall-Frontend, that does show a status bar on the Tab3 device during flashing.
But there's another problem here I think, which shows when flashing process completed with the 'system.img' file.
When flashing the 'system.img' file is done successfully with Heimdall-Frontend, the tablet reboot immediately, while flashing completing for all the other components (from the same ROM stock) it takes a few seconds until the reboot.
So there's definitely something going on there, but I cann't pinpoint what it is.

Upvote 0
I'm done now as the device in hardware start to fail. The 'power' button with up/down button combination failing and then it's game over. So I discarded the device and moved on.
thanx for posting an update......going forward if you are going to root, make sure that you install a custom recovery like twrp. it is THE essential tool for root users. you could have made a nandroid backup (a complete backup of your entire device including data).....then when things get screwy you could always restore back to a previous point and have a working device again.

......this is just for future references.

Upvote 0
thanx for posting an update......going forward if you are going to root, make sure that you install a custom recovery like twrp. it is THE essential tool for root users. you could have made a nandroid backup (a complete backup of your entire device including data).....then when things get screwy you could always restore back to a previous point and have a working device again.

......this is just for future references.

Thank you, got your point in this. Yet I currently own a Galaxy Tab A 10 device with Android 9 on it. Guess TWRP wouldn't apply there too, does it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones