• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stuck in TWRP Recovery Mode

marcog1

Lurker
Apr 7, 2014
Hi there!

I just had a go at flashing my new HTC One M8, and I'm stuck in recovery mode.

I followed these instructions:
How to Root AT&T HTC One M8 - Android Rooting Guide

But got the TWRP file from here because the original link was overloaded:
androidfiles.org

I essentially just ran:
fastboot-mac erase
cachefastboot-mac
flash boot recovery.img
fastboot-mac reboot

Then installed the SuperSU update zip. Now every time I try reboot into the Android system, it boots into recovery mode. If I boot into the bootloader, I get the option to boot using fastboot but that appears to fail (it returns me to the bootloader after a second). If I select hboot, it says "No image or wrong image!" after trying to load a .nbh file.

Any ideas?

When you plug your phone in while on the Hboot screen and select fastboot, does "Fastboot USB turn red?

If so, open the CMD prompt from your SDK folder, and type: fastboot devices <Enter Key> Where<Enter Key> is just press enter.

If that lists your phone, should say htc with your serial number, then you're communicating properly.

Wait, are you running things on a MAC?

If so I may need to enlist some help.

Reactions: dan55 and scotty85
Upvote 0
Yes, I see fastboot usb in red and am able to connect via usb correctly. I'm running on mac, but I believe everything is the same except the command is named slightly differently.

I think I made the mistake of flashing to "boot" where I should have flashed to "recovery". :/ But not sure how to fix?!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Yes, I see fastboot usb in red and am able to connect via usb correctly. I'm running on mac, but I believe everything is the same except the command is named slightly differently.

I think I made the mistake of flashing to "boot" where I should have flashed to "recovery". :/ But not sure how to fix?!

Yup,that will do it. ;) I'm not familiar with Mac,but from the way your other commands look,maybe something like:

fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery.img

Then

fastboot-Mac flash boot boot.img

You'll have to get a boot image from a stock rom,or have someone with a stock phone dump it for you.

Upvote 0
Yeah, definitely flashed recovery to boot. The way the text was formatted in the OP made it tricky to decipher the commands at first. Once reformatted, I'm reading that to instead be:

fastboot-mac erase cache
fastboot-mac flash boot recovery.img
fastboot-mac reboot

So yeah, you inadvertently flashed the recovery.img to the boot partition. Like Scotty said, if you can find the stock boot.img and fastboot flash that. Unless there happens to be any custom kernels yet for this phone in which case you could flash that from recovery and get boot (if s-off).

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone. However, after following the instructions for flashing the TWRP recovery on their website, I'm stuck in a TWRP bootloop!
Download the above file. Save it to the root of your /sdcard directly (internal memory only) and rename it to twrp.img

Launch terminal emulator or connect to your computer and open an adb shell, then type the following:

su

dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43

Then reboot to complete installation.

Can someone please help me get out of this bootloop so I can use my phone again.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone. However, after following the instructions for flashing the TWRP recovery on their website, I'm stuck in a TWRP bootloop!
Download the above file. Save it to the root of your /sdcard directly (internal memory only) and rename it to twrp.img

Launch terminal emulator or connect to your computer and open an adb shell, then type the following:

su

Can someone please help me get out of this bootloop so I can use my phone again.

Thanks!

Don't know why they list that method. Do you have adb, fastboot, and the htc drivers installed on your pc?

Upvote 0

su

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD TO FLASH TWRP!!! Found this post last night:

Im in big trouble. - xda-developers

The above instructions on the TWRP site have you flash recovery to the wrong partition.

Use either the Goo Manager method or the fastboot method.

Still hoping BlackMomba24 has fastboot and adb going for him, as this may be the only way to fix it:

RUU M8_VZW files (s-off only) - xda-developers

good luck

Upvote 0
Update: I was only able to get out of the TWRP bootloop by installing a custom ROM. After installing the Viper ROM, the phone booted fine and I'm able to use it again. That doesn't mean that recovery is fixed as it's still on the wrong patrician. I can't believe the TWRP website still has that method up as it's going to screw more folks like myself who are in a haste to root and flash ROMs.

Upvote 0
Take the recovery.img file you downloaded and place a copy in your SDK / ADB folder on your PC.

Boot your phone to Hboot and select "Fastboot". It should be highlighted in red.

Find your ADB folder on your PC, hold the <Shift> key and right click on the folder / select "Open Command window from here".

Type: fastboot devices
press enter

Should list your phones serial number.

Then type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (or what ever the .img file is named)
Press enter.

That will flash the recovery.img file direct to the phone. :)

Upvote 0

su

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD TO FLASH TWRP!!! Found this post last night:

Im in big trouble. - xda-developers

The above instructions on the TWRP site have you flash recovery to the wrong partition.

Use either the Goo Manager method or the fastboot method.

Teddy, your post was one I wish I could have thanked 20 times instead of just once. Egads what an unfortunate misprint!

Upvote 0
Take the recovery.img file you downloaded and place a copy in your SDK / ADB folder on your PC.

Boot your phone to Hboot and select "Fastboot". It should be highlighted in red.

Find your ADB folder on your PC, hold the <Shift> key and right click on the folder / select "Open Command window from here".

press enter

Then type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (or what ever the .img file is named)
Press enter.

I have Fastboot highlighted in red and entered the "fastboot devices" command in cmd prompt but it doesn't detect my device. I only see "List of devices attached" but no serial number. Please advise.

Thanks!

Edit: I just realized I'm using a different PC than the one I was on earlier, so I didn't have HTC drivers installed. Just installed the HTC drivers and got recovery installed PROPERLY this time. Thanks for everyone's help!

Upvote 0

press enter

Press enter.

I'd like to respectively add to this method above. Since you're plugging the phone into your pc anyway, I just issue 'adb reboot bootloader' then move on to the fastboot commands instead of trying to get my fat fingers to hit the rights buttons.

Also I tried flashing TWRP via Goo Manager and those instructions are incorrect as well. Seems like the recovery is not where the app needs to find it, at least for me.

if adb is working why not just use hasoons tool kit and flash twrp, boot to recovery for real, then flash the rom?

Good advice, but it's always nice to know what the actual commands are that someone else has put into their 'toolkit'.

Upvote 0
Good advice, but it's always nice to know what the actual commands are that someone else has put into their 'toolkit'.

QFT. :)

Tool kits are great until it doesn't work. Bugs happen, drivers get mismatched, etc. Always a good idea to be on the up and up with regards to doing these things manually. :)

Really cool we got the OP up and running, enjoy! :D

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Just recently, my htcone m7 was stuck in twrp recovery mode and fastboot mode as well, just rebooting to htc logo screen and restarting, all I can say someone gave there recommendations and I followed just keep in doing factory reset on fastboot mode and restore backups and it may take 8-15 times but keep on doing it even if it feels like your not making any progress. It finally worked for me at 9th time. Hope this helps with someone else cause I was about to give up too. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones