• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuck on Chrome OS

PrinceCorwin

Android Expert
Oct 23, 2012
Houston, TX
I turned my older Toshiba Satellite laptop into a chromebook using the following methods:http://www.talkandroid.com/269472-turn-your-old-laptop-into-a-chromebook-with-neverwares-cloudready/
So I played with it a while and decided to reinstall windows 7 from boot dvd. Early in the installation a window popped up asking which partition I wanted to use (seems as though the chrome os installation partitioned my hd into 12 parts. There was only one partition with enough free space to use (300gb) so I selected that one. Another window said it couldn't install there because the partition was GPT type. Just for kicks, I tried all the others. Same result. It gives me the option to delete or format a drive but I'm not sure how to proceed. If I choose to format, will I be able to change the type from GPT, and if so, what should I change it to?
Note: I posted this in Windows forum and am awaiting a response. Just figured I'd also post here being that AV is my most trusted source of tech help

Not sure how to go about this properly. Guess I'll google it.
No luck. I'm confused.
I turned my older Toshiba Satellite laptop into a chromebook using the following methods:http://www.talkandroid.com/269472-turn-your-old-laptop-into-a-chromebook-with-neverwares-cloudready/
So I played with it a while and decided to reinstall windows 7 from boot dvd. Early in the installation a window popped up asking which partition I wanted to use (seems as though the chrome os installation partitioned my hd into 12 parts. There was only one partition with enough free space to use (300gb) so I selected that one. Another window said it couldn't install there because the partition was GPT type. Just for kicks, I tried all the others. Same result. It gives me the option to delete or format a drive but I'm not sure how to proceed. If I choose to format, will I be able to change the type from GPT, and if so, what should I change it to?
Note: I posted this in Windows forum and am awaiting a response. Just figured I'd also post here being that AV is my most trusted source of tech help

Upvote 0
"Please connect to the internet to update your Chromebook", and that's far as Chrome OS got. ....OK!...NO Chromebooks in China! Couldn't see anyway to configure a VPN on it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @PrinceCorwin , but I do like to try these things out. :)
No prob. Yeah chrome os is completely net dependant. There's a couple vpn extensions available for Chrome but you have to use those specific services. I use PIA and I didn't find a chrome extension for that. Another reason I want to switch back. Haven't tried any of the suggestions by the other posters yet haven't had time. I'll try to get to it today or tomorrow and post results.
Note to anyone interested in trying the chrome os: you don't have to install on the hard drive like I did. You can just boot from the USB every time and not have the problem I have now.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones