• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Success! Transformer tethered without root

I finally retired my EVO since it was having issues. Got myself a Galaxy S2 and was all ready to root until I read that Wireless Tether does not work for it.

I use my tablet when on the road for work and need to get my tether on.

I did exactly what you said here but run into a snag on the last step.

After I click the wrench, there is no option for "use the phone for internet". Only 2 options are "Rename Device" or "Unpair".

Any suggestions?

Same problem here... not sure what to do...

Upvote 0
What I did was install PDANET Tablet on my TF and it instructed me to install FoxFi. In setup I had to choose WiFi over Bluetooth since BT wasn't working correctly. Now when I want my hotspot up, I just turn on FoxFi and works perfectly.

FoxFi alone makes your phone a hotspot. Don't even think I need PDANET Tablet installed. It's still there though.

Reactions: MA83
Upvote 0
I tried the pdanet for tablet app and it didn't work. I have a Droid3 and the TF101. But just using bluetooth works great. Turn on bluetooth on the phone and make it discoverable. Put the tablet in airplane mode and turn on bluetooth. Pair with the phone. Then click on the little wrench in bluetooth setting on the tablet and check that you want to use the phone for internet. It works for me!

- I also was successful accessing the internet from my TF101 through a Bluetooth connection to my DROID X.
- Has anyone updated their TF101 with the new ICS firmware (released last month) and checked to see if this feature still works?
- I am afraid I'll loose this capability with the firmware update since the Bluetooth version is upgraded as well.

Upvote 0
I'm typing this right now on my tf101 right now using my Samsung Fascinate and FoxFi! You would not believe how excited i am about this because my moronic IT department at work installed a 5ghz only wifi network (even the 'public access' network is 5ghz). Makes it tough to connect to the internet with your Android tablet when the only tablet out with 5ghz wifi support is the iPad!

Upvote 0
- I also was successful accessing the internet from my TF101 through a Bluetooth connection to my DROID X.
- Has anyone updated their TF101 with the new ICS firmware (released last month) and checked to see if this feature still works?
- I am afraid I'll loose this capability with the firmware update since the Bluetooth version is upgraded as well.

Yes it works with my TF101 and Samsung Galaxy S2. Both WiFi and BT.

Upvote 0
Did you download the "FoxFi" app?

If not get it and try it worked fine with my TF and Optimus V

Since you already have the 2 paired via BT, just do the following.

Install FoxFi on your phone and PDANET Tablet on your TF.
On your phone "Activate Bluetooth DUN".
On your TF open app PDANET Tablet and connect.

Reactions: fldude99
Upvote 0
I am having trouble getting this to work. I've installed foxfi on my Samsung galaxy 2 phone and pdanet tablet on my Samsung galaxy 10.1.
I'm kind of a newbie so if someone could give me step by step instruction I would be so grateful.
When i try to connect thru Bluetooth my phone says i need Android.4.0 or higher and i have 4.0.03, so don't understand why it's not working.
Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
I am having trouble getting this to work. I've installed foxfi on my Samsung galaxy 2 phone and pdanet tablet on my Samsung galaxy 10.1.
I'm kind of a newbie so if someone could give me step by step instruction I would be so grateful.
When i try to connect thru Bluetooth my phone says i need Android.4.0 or higher and i have 4.0.03, so don't understand why it's not working.
Thank you in advance!

I believe you also need to have PDANet installed on your phone.

Since you already have FoxFi installed, why not just use it as a WiFi hotspot?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones