• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sudden battery drain

Here's a couple more aLogcat logs that show some different info:

And the phone is getting warm....

Screenshot_2012-12-11-07-55-00_zps0a730f51.png

Screenshot_2012-12-11-07-55-06_zps5e86e291.png

Upvote 0
Yes. I have made no modifications to this phone. Totally stock and Verizon approved. :rolleyes:

Yikes. It would have helped a lot to know up front that this was not a standard Verizon CDMA phone. :rolleyes:

Who programmed the network APN's onto the phone?

Where did you get the phone?
From Verizon? From a 3rd party?
Was it originally GSM or does it have a "Verizon approved" flash?

Upvote 0
Yikes. It would have helped a lot to know up front that this was not a standard Verizon CDMA phone. :rolleyes:

Who programmed the network APN's onto the phone?

Where did you get the phone?
From Verizon? From a 3rd party?
Was it originally GSM or does it have a "Verizon approved" flash?

It is a standard Verizon phone. Did I misspeak? The phone was purchased at a Verizon kiosk in the local mall. I have made no changes to the phone. As far as I know, it is the default LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO phone everyone buys from Verizon.

Not sure who programmed the phone. I assumed it came preprogrammed from the factory. Otherwise the guys at the kiosk did it.

Are you saying that this phone isn't stock or standard?

Upvote 0
I see the problem. I did misspeak. I am running a stock Verizon phone, but NOTon GSM.

Sorry for the confusion.

Here's a couple more aLogcat logs that show some different info:

And the phone is getting warm....

This phone is not set up like any standard Verizon CDMA/LTE phone that I have ever worked on. It is trying to do GSM. We'll probably need some deeper analysis to figure out what's going on here.

Those logs show *ERRORS* on the RIL (Radio Interface Layer).

Radio Interface Layer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try bringing up the "hidden menu" by going to the phone dialer and dialing
*#*#4636#*#*
** Don't change *anything* **
in the menu that pops up.
(This command may not work on your phone, but there are other ways to bring up the hidden menu)

Please take a screen shot of the items in the dropdown menu just above "turn off radio". It should look something like this:

Attachments

• Hidden Menu.jpg
    Hidden Menu.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
This phone is not set up like any standard Verizon CDMA/LTE phone that I have ever worked on. It is trying to do GSM. We'll probably need some deeper analysis to figure out what's going on here.

Those logs show *ERRORS* on the RIL (Radio Interface Layer).

Radio Interface Layer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try bringing up the "hidden menu" by going to the phone dialer and dialing
*#*#4636#*#*
** Don't change *anything* **
in the menu that pops up.
(This command may not work on your phone, but there are other ways to bring up the hidden menu)

Please take a screen shot of the items in the dropdown menu just above "turn off radio". It should look something like this:

Here ya go: FYI, the motorola code above does not work. I installed an app called Phone Info that does basically the same thing.

Screenshot_2012-12-11-11-59-23_zpsb4af2e3f.png

Upvote 0
Do you still have GSM errors in the aLogcat radio log?

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Changing some settings in the hidden menu might help, but you don't have the Network Mode settings in your Settings that you would need to change the settings back. I don't want to change settings and screw up your phone and then not be able to change the settings back.

Hmm, let me think about this.

-or-

*** HELP !!! - ANYBODY !!! ***

Upvote 0
Do you still have GSM errors in the aLogcat radio log?

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Changing some settings in the hidden menu might help, but you don't have the Network Mode settings in your Settings that you would need to change the settings back. I don't want to change settings and screw up your phone and then not be able to change the settings back.

Hmm, let me think about this.

-or-

*** HELP !!! - ANYBODY !!! ***

There is still GSM activity, but if I filter by Error, they aren't there.

Upvote 0
You don't have to filter. The aLogcat entries are color coded by severity. Also there is a letter following the date and preceding the / slash:

Blue & "I" for "Info"
Green & "D" for "Debug"
Orange & "W" for "Warning"
Red & "E" for "Error"
??? & "F" for "Fatal"

I understand. But just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. As it stands now, all the GSM messages are Info (blue). And they're still happily chugging along.

Upvote 0
What shows in the details if you click on Maps in GSam? Maps is notorious for sucking large amounts of battery even when you aren't using it. Try disabling Maps temporarily.

What was the Total State Time on your CPU Spy stats? That stat is cut off at the bottom of your screenshot. The other CPU Spy stats show the phone in Deep Sleep most of the time, which is good.

But the GSam stats show the phone being held awake 4 hours out of the 8 hours, which is bad. Apparently the GSam stats were taken before the CPU Spy app was even started.

The GSam stats show high usage by the Kernel, which is bad. We need more info on the Kernel stats. If you click on the Kernel item in GSam stats what system processes are at the top of the detail list?

I've been using it since I unplugged it today, so the stats are probably pretty different from what they would have been this morning.

When I click on Kernal I list of "Included processes", the top three of which are "vold", "migration/1", and "file-storage".

I'll reset my CPU Spy stats and let it sit for a while and get back with that Total State time. And yes, I didn't install the CPU Spy until this morning and let it run while I drove to work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones