• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sudden change in battery use

To follow up: my FB friend with a problem yesterday was also Tmo, and several people chimed in on her post about the same thing I and others in this thread have reported. I'm now definitely wanting to know what was going on - I'm no conspiracy theorist, but that seems far too many people to be "coincidence", all on the same day. Cold weather? Undocumented update? Spyware? Wtf?!

Upvote 0
I've got two phones also sucking down their batteries like they're going out of style, just started yesterday. Phone is running warm to hot, reboot, clearing cache, etc. doesn't stop the drain. My slow car charger just barely keeps up with the drain, I had to run home and grab my fast charger to get it back up. I've got friends on Facebook also saying they're seeing the same thing, about 50/50 saying yet they have an issue or no things are fine.

Checking the usage manager shows nothing abnormal for battery usage. Both my phones are on AT&T but I've got a friend on Verizon reporting issues and another on T-Mobile. All said it started in the last 48 hours, one said it started Sunday

Are both phones LG V20's or on android 7.X______?

Upvote 0
Usually every time it happens to me, after a battery pull and reboot I always have an app update waiting from Google app store. It could all be coincidence, but I'm starting to lean towards it being a Google play issue.

Could be - one of the things I do that is unpopular is I don't run anything auto update. I instead schedule a cycle to check once per day in the early morning before I get up - IE 4:AM. but only if plugged in and on wifi.

Tasker - fantastic app

Upvote 0
Compare today with yesterday's usage (upthread) . This included watching video, so should have been more battery intensive,surely? So weird.

View attachment 114580

I suspect the battery pull-reboot fixed your issue. But as for what I still wonder.

How did the drain down and full recharge go? Guess that's hard to gage now also. Being so drastically different.

Upvote 0
I had some extreme sudden battery consumption problems a couple of weeks back.

I traced it down to "something" that had reset all of my app Notifications to "ON", and about the same time, I had decided to try out the DirecTV app on my phone.... that one app is a 100 times thirstier for power than Facebook ever has been.

I uninstalled the DTV app, painfully went thru and cleared Notifications on all apps that have no need of it IMO, Facebook being the worst of the lot after DTV's app was deleted....

then I did a Power off/on sequence and over the next 3 days, Facebook finally loaded in all of the modules that it wants, and then the phone's battery life pretty much went back to normal.

In the middle of all this mix, I was living essentially at a hospital baby sitting my wife. I was at the mercy of a very poor WiFi system that is overloaded all the time. The phone did not "fix itself" until I went back home for a 48 hour rest and left the WiFi ON.

Now FB is playing nicely, although Notifications is, and will, stay OFF forever.

Upvote 0
I've had this issue crop up twice now with my V20. First time I resorted to factory reset that fixed it. This time I took the advice of popping battery and recharging and it seems to have worked. Still not really sure what is causing it. Happened yesterday just after I read this thread and posted a response. Odd that it started then.

Upvote 0
SO glad to have found this thread. I'm on a Note 3, Lollipop 5.0, MASSIVE battery drain coming on suddenly, three weeks ago, along with scary overheating. In the last 15 minutes, for instance, 100% to 76%. I've uninstalled many apps, not all, but so far no change. Guess I'll try uninstalling SwiftKey (someone mentioned here or elsewhere might be culprit.) Will also try pulling the battery with the phone on (never tried that before, never even heard of it.) Husband is on a Note 5, same problem ... his started draining, suddenly, just last week. We're both AT&T.

Upvote 0
Comparison of the last three days (my phone is my "newspaper" in he morning n - headlines, read articles, check email and fb - with fairly consistent use/sot, so it's a good comparison. Yesterday, which is the middle graph, was unusual in that I also watched video).
CYMERA_20170112_082457.jpg

Upvote 0
so is the far right graph "normal" and is that what you're expecting the mobile to do? I will say it sounds a bit like mine.

my mornings often are similar as I use peruse news stuffs often and by the time I bother to stop I've also used the phone for tunes in the car via headphone cable, and navigation for traffic. Right now in my office I'm at 96% from 100% at 6AM.

Upvote 0
From an article I read from Android authority, looks like the culprit was Facebook/Messenger. I was having the issue as well, and now it appears to be gone again.

I have to agree with that.
my Note 4 usually goes most of a day and leaves me with 20 or 30 percent if it never gets a charge boost.

then all of a sudden it would not go an hour without having to be recharged.....
the culprit turned out to be Facebook and messenger and DirecTV...

I deleted all three of them and when the phone stabilized again, I tried putting them back on one at a time.... if Notifications is left ON for any of them, the battery suffers horribly. so, I turned off Notifications on all of them....

DirecTV app though is still in the garbage bin, I will never put that back on a phone.

Upvote 0
should have been one in the last week - or rather VZ, ATT and some unlocked ones got the android security update recently. I think mine was on the 8th. so I suspect you guys did too.

LIkewise all my google service apps got an update the same week - or I vaguely remember that happening.

edit - software version Vs99513A - updated January 6th

Upvote 0
Anndd.... It's doing it again today. Swapped out batteries (bought a spare ) ans it's even worse with the new one.

Took the Tmo update yesterday. Coincidence?

Hopefully it will self-recover again. When this weird and seemingly random blip doesn't occur, battery life is very, very, good - easily gets me through a day.

Upvote 0
Anndd.... It's doing it again today. Swapped out batteries (bought a spare ) ans it's even worse with the new one.

Took the Tmo update yesterday. Coincidence?

Hopefully it will self-recover again. When this weird and seemingly random blip doesn't occur, battery life is very, very, good - easily gets me through a day.

This is concerning. I applied that T-Mobile update last week and have been getting amazing standby time and averaging 4.5 hours SOT.

Have you tried charging without Quick Charge? My V10 battery had insane battery drainage the first month I had it when using the provided Quick Charger. Fine when charging through surge protector USB port or Anker USB port. Can't explain it, but it worked.

Also, wasn't it in the news awhile back that Facebook purposes sabotages their Android app to conduct tests?

Last edited:
Reactions: notacoach
Upvote 0
This is concerning. I applied that T-Mobile update last week and have been getting amazing standby time and averaging 4.5 hours SOT.

Have you tried charging without Quick Charge? My V10 battery had insane battery drainage the first month I had it when using the provided Quick Charger. Fine when charging through surge protector USB port or Anker USB port. Can't explain it, but it worked.

Also, wasn't it in the news awhile back that Facebook purposes sabotages their Android app to conduct tests?

I get ridiculous standby time (like less than 1% drop over 10hrs); SOT is either amazing, or has these "drain spikes". I was using FB during the period referenced this morning, so I'll assume, for now, that's what it was.

Reactions: Muckle Dabuckle
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones