• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suddenly can't use Orange SMTP anymore?!

captainham

Jul 22, 2010
Been sending emails from my Tiscali account via smtp.orange.net for months now, but suddenly it stopped working the other day. Now just says 'Unable to send mail' whenever I try.

I didn't touch the phone settings in between the last successful send and the first failed attempt, anyone got any ideas?

Have tried the usual, like deleting/recreating the account, plus using different SMTP servers (orangehome.co.uk, 192.blah, etc) but all to no avail.

Any advice gratefully received!

Edit: oh yeah, tried calling Orange, but really don't know why I even bothered...

Hi there

I too have been suffering the same problem for the past couple of weeks now.

I've had my ntlworld account setup on my Hero since last July and always worked until recently.

It makes no difference whether I try sending via 3G or wi-fi and I too have tried deleting and re-creating the account.

My SMTP settings are as follows:

- 'Login required' is unchecked
- SMTP server: smtp.orange.net
- Security type: None
- Server Port: 25

Between this and the lack of 2.1 I'm really fed up with Orange!!

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve S

Upvote 0
Hi again

Yeah I spoke to Orange. I've also been having general 3G connection issues lately and so thought this was connected to the email sending problem and so called them on this premise.

Orange updated my sim, checked APN settings (all were correct) and a couple of other things which I now forget.

The result is that 3G has improved (I can access the web, which is useful) however email problems persist. Also whereas previously the list of Available Newtowrk Operators on my handset was just Orange I can now see O2, TMobile, Vodafone etc. Anyone know why this may be and what it means?

Absolutely no idea where to take this problem now. May have switch to using my GMail account exclusively?

Thanks,

Steve S

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones