• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Super Glued Magnet on the back of Moto 360 and now it's not charging!

Would you like to use the Moto 360, and it's perfectly circular design, without any watch bands?

• Total voters
Hi I just have a general, well more specific question, about the Moto 360 smartwatch. See, I have always liked using the Moto 360 with the watchbands detached. It just sits more comfortably in my hand and I would rather have a cool, smaller, lighter, and easier to use option aside from my actual smartphone. It's great for driving too because you can change the music and do simple tasks with one hand while the other is on the steering wheel (only at certain times of course). The only issue with this is I don't have a way to quickly pull out my watch and put it back in my pocket without too much fuss. People usually say to this: "Taking out your watch and putting it back in your pocket to do things? Why not use your phone?" So what I did was super glue a super magnet to the back of the watch and another to a belt clip. This way it can always be at my side when I need it. I can use it without the bands, seated comfortably in my hand, and when I don't need it I can slap it back onto my belt clip. So. The only issue with this whole situation is that the magnet super glued on the back of the Moto 360 prevents the Moto 360 charger, which I believe is some sort of magnetic device, from actually charging the device which makes this whole set up seem pointless. So I was hoping someone here would know a way to still charge the device or even better yet show me a better set up other than the magnets that I can use for my desired effect. Okay thank you guys for reading all of this and I hope someone can help me here.

Yeh, it uses magnetic induction charging. But as you've put a lump of metal in the way, the magnet, you've basically made a small induction cooker now. And all that will do is just heat the magnet, and not charge the watch. Hopefully it didn't get too hot and cooked the watch. I don't think there's much power involved anyway.

You'll have to remove the magnet, and find a different nonmetallic fixing method, like using Velcro or something.

It's a reason why phones that are mostly metal, can't really do inductive or wireless charging. And probably the only ones that do are plastic bodied and glass backed Samsungs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Velcro is the most obvious thing I can think of, it's usually pretty strong stuff, but easily pulled apart repeatedly, and a smart-watch minus strap is only a small lightweight item anyway. There's things like blu-tack, poster-putty or plasticine modelling clay, but might be messy though. Obviously you don't want to permanently glue the watch to the steering wheel. :D

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
There are many ways to attach but zero other ways to charge, so Mike steered you onto the right track.

I agree Velcro is probably the way to go.

Just to give you other options, maybe hook a key ring or loop of stiff wire between the watch and the watchband pin. then you have more options for hanging or clipping the keyring.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Not only the metal being in the way.. You've added a magnetic field barrier that the induction field can't move through or around (think of an electric guitar pickup, the induction strip of the watch being like the "pickup" and the charger pad acts like the strings, fluctuating the small magnetic field) you distort that field too much and you've got a dead instrument as far as the electronics go [emoji41]

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones