• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Superpad III ... Maybe

ReLiC71

Lurker
Apr 12, 2014
I've just been gifted a tablet by my mother, as she's decided to switch to an iPad. She says that it's a Superpad III, but I know that there are a lot of knock-offs about, so I'm here to see if there's any useful info/advice I can get on identifying and getting the most out of this tablet, whatever it may be.

The info that seems relevant is:

Model Number:
Android P1001R

Android Version:
V2.3 2011-11-24 (001112)

Kernel Version:
root@wanghua-desktop #231

Build Number:
FRF85B

There's a sticker on the tablet that says 16GB, and the built-in info tells me that there's 16GB of storage, but I downloaded Elixir2, and I can only see a 1GB Internal storage and a 2.5GB External storage, so I don't know quite what to think.

So far, it all seems to work fairly well. I'm not entirely used to Android yet, but that'll come with time.

Ideally, I want to find out if I can:

A) Update the firmware (and if so, how and which version would be the most suitable?)

and

B) Generally speed it up. I've tried to delete some of the apps, but there are a few that just won't go (I'm looking at you, Angry Birds Rio)

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Thanks Rukbat. That thread's actually where I learnt about Elixir2.

Sadly, there only seems to be one person in there with the same tablet as me (Lucanus. Everyone else has the Tab10 rather than the P1001R), and the rar file that he's uploaded fails every time I try to unzip it.

The first five files are fine, but zsys.img won't unzip for me. I've tried Winrar and 7-Zip, and downloaded the C1210.rar five times now. No errors during download, only when I try to unpack. Go figure. Downloaded it again, and it unzipped fine.

Edit: Should say that I've rooted and cleared all the bloat off now, so even if I can't update the firmware, it's still in a better state than it was yesterday.

Final edit: Well, that seems to have been a complete waste of time. After managing to unzip the firmware update, I applied it and I've ended up back where I started. The apps that I deleted are back, and the firmware is the same version that I had to begin with. I'm going to re-root it and remove the bloat and leave it at that, I think. Will leave this here for anyone who searches for P1001R. If your 'Superpad' has the same Android model/version as mine (P1001R, V2.3 2011-11-24 (001112)), the C1210.rar update from the above linked thread won't be of any use to you.

Will keep my eye out for a newer version, and will update this thread if I find one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones