• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Support Rooted T-Mobile SGH-T959V

Thanks everyone for offering help. You Guys Rock!
In a nutshell, I had flashed a couple of Kernels and Custom ROMS...with a lot of help from the guys on here. I was pretty stoked, there were some really cool features on some of them. Being completely new, I settled for the new ROMs ...with the bugginess and FCs. I kept reflashing versions of Valhalla Black/Black FBed/Final. I loved the look, but having so many FCs, needed stock apps missing, and crashes...it was affecting my sanity. Finallly, I bricked my phone trying to flash a rom, like I had so many times before..
I just didn't realize that:
a: I could go back to Stock GB 2.3.6 ...like it was out of the box.
b: I could have all of these cool ROMs working correctly.

SO...
I did a S*%T -TON of searching forums last night/this morning. I am so grateful to the tireless dev guys that so patiently write clear, newb-friendly instructions! They really do ALL the work. My hours of searching and crash-course in ext4, Roms, Recoveries, Backups...were only possible because of the Guys here and at XDA-developers. Guess that makes me a leech of sorts....haha

I started at 7pm and ended with a smoooooth working...awesome phone. Way better than Stock, way better than previous attempts.

First, I backed up SD... to my computer via usb (after installing Samsung
SGS4G Drivers and reading threads about what settings to use, etc.)

Then I super wiped it with Mini Partition Tool (l love this Part.Mgmt tool) So easy, love that you can double check it all, or completely undo any step:::before you do anything permanent.(Made for the accident prone-like me.) afterwards I formatted the SD with an ext4 partition. ( I don't think my previous attempts really worked).

Next I followed this to the letter!:
[ODIN+CWM] GB Ext4 Starter Pack (Nov 24) - xda-developers
It was such a beautiful thing to hear Linda sweet-talking me at 3am!

I was back to Stock (+ CWM)!
I had Wifi-Calling again!!! (my fault for not being able to find apk repository on xda.. even when I found them, and tried to install them...nada) I think it was the bad installs before.
Wiping and starting new was the best move ever!

I have to admit....the answers were all there, sometimes you have to really dig down into older threads and posts. The Rom I installed as part of this tutorial was Valhalla Final...It really hums along now that the install is clean! I recommend the above link to anyone that is having a problem flashing GB ROMs, or has crashes and FCs.

Thanks again to the AF team and the XDA developers!!! This is my first day with not one dropped call, FC, over-heat, battery suck,or crash since I OP'd this Thread. Who knew I could have such a great phone....I almost smashed it with a hammer yesterday, REALLY. Glad I didn't. Sorry to go on and on....but I hope someone else reads this and gets a little hope for their frustrating rooted SGS 4g!

Best Regards,
SNECKER

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones