• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swipe keyboard, but not swype keyboard? :-)

dewalist

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2009
Connecticut
Hi all,
I really enjoy the swipe actions on the TouchPal keyboard. While it does have Swype-like capability (dragging your finger letter to letter), I prefer the "other" way it works. If you swipe up on any key, it makes a capital letter of that key. If you swipe down, it inserts the special character associated with that key. I find this far more fluid than using the shift key for capitals, and switching to the alternate keyboard for numbers and special characters.
My question is - do any other keyboards have this feature? TouchPal has been a bit unstable lately, and also seems to be leaning towards being an emoji-centric app, which I have no use for.

Thanks!

I use TouchPal, Swiftkey and Swype, and all three have unique features, but TouchPal is the only one that does what you are asking for. I also like that you can "swype" left on the backspace key and it deletes the word so you don't have to hold it down. I've tried some lesser know keyboards and they don't have the feature you are looking for either. I haven't updated it for a while, so as long as you don't do that you don't have to worry about it being unstable or being emoji-centric. And since it's free, you can download the older versions from the web quite easily!

Reactions: dewalist
Upvote 0
If you do that make sure to send me one, lol. Talking about unique features, Swype is still the ONLY one that predicts punctuation, which I find to be extremely handy and surprises me that other keyboards haven't followed suit!!

Thanks! I should have expected that to be the case, although it still seems odd to me that more people don't want those features... Oh, well - maybe I should learn to code and make my own keyboard! Haha!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones