• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Switch from iphone 4s to Samsung Galaxy S3

x5rashid

Lurker
Jun 30, 2012
I have just bought an samsung galaxy S3 I have always been an iphone users and I wanted to know how can I backup my contacts, apps and all other data to my laptop.
Has with the iphone I use to backup with itunes and that use to backup everything is there a software like that for samsung galaxy S3

I have just bought an samsung galaxy S3 I have always been an iphone users and I wanted to know how can I backup my contacts, apps and all other data to my laptop.
Has with the iphone I use to backup with itunes and that use to backup everything is there a software like that for samsung galaxy S3

Samsungs Kies software claims to back up everything including contacts and apps. However tried it last night and after doing a backup for an hour or so failed at about 99% :(

There are third party apps such as Titanium Backup and Ultimate Backup available form the App Store but not sure if your phone has to be rooted for them to work properly

Upvote 0
That's the great thing about the android platform. Once you have all your contacts, calendar, and gmail in the google cloud, whenever you get a new android and sign into google, all that stuff syncs and stays synced. I've had both and android does this a lot better than apple because you don't need to sync to a specific computer.

Pretty much the same with apps unless you manually installed apks not available on the play market.

Upvote 0

If you are a long time iPhone user you know you can back up your iPhone using iTunes or the cloud. But backing up to iTunes will not help in getting the data to your new Samsung S3. You can turn off your iCloud backups and sync your iPhone via iTunes with google or OutLook for your contacts and calendar. You can then use Kies to sync your contacts and calendar in with OutLook or then use Google for your your contacts and calendar.

I used Outlook to sync my iPhone 4s with my S2 and this kept my google contacts and calendar caught up. I then only needed to sign in to my google account with the S3 and this info was moved.

You can not move any of your Apple software to the Android device.

Upvote 0
I have also been a iphone user since day one, but i bought the Gnex back in December and used it for 4 months before going back to the iphone 4s. The great feature about Android is that once you log into the phone everything is downloaded automatically. I had to do absolutely nothing to my Gnex the 3 or 4 times i activated it(different phones)

Upvote 0
Question: if you edit/update a contact on your S3, will it be overwritten if you connect to Kies?

TBH....I've never once used Kies, don't see the need (but then I've been rooted with all my android phones from like, the first day that I get them! It's just soooo easy to do nowadays...

Contacts etc as said are backed up automatically to your Google account as you add/subtract them, apps etc are backed up by the mighty Titanium Backup on a scheduled automatic basis.

If need to send back your phone for warranty - just reflash the standard ROM from the database on XDA.

Simples!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones