• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Switch internal memory with external memory

Hey guys, i know there are some smart people out there but i need help. Okay, so i updated to zvd and tryed this method. it all worked, however just wouldn't stop media scanning. After all that, i just deleted the vold and did a hard reset....now its saying i have no sd card! :( i know there's gotta be a way to fix it, but its hard to even download anything because it says i have no sd card. Any ideas? This has,happened before, but i just reflashed my ROM and it fixed itself. What should i do?!? Please h
elp!

If you've not dl'd a rom, just dl one n grab vold.fstab from the system/etc dir in the zip and the do adb remount and then adb push vold.fstab /system/etc/ and then reboot. That should fix u up.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: DO NOT TRY THIS.
I'm not sure if it's because i tried formatting the internal sd after this (because I was able to reboot and copy stuff ok), but my phone sat there charging for a while, and I just saw a red led, but couldn't turn the screen back on, so I held the power button and nothing. Then I took the battery out and put it back in, nothing turns on at all, no LG logo, vibration... nothing. Tried another battery, same thing. Even though I don't think it makes sense or that it's related, I suggest NOT trying it to be on the safe side. I think it just died on it's own, I will see tommorow if I can exchange it for the other new dual core LG. I know it doesn't have hdmi but I don't use it so this might be goodbye guys as I won't have an esteem anymore.

I wish I would have read this before....same thing just happened to me. I had to exchange it. But was there any ways to fix this before?

Upvote 0
Playful God you do good work and I like your solutions. Can someone link a step by step to make my SD card on my phone work the other feed for the file is down.....

If your talking about changing the sd cards around then read this quote below

Originally Posted by kanaida UPDATE: DO NOT TRY THIS. I'm not sure if it's because i tried formatting the internal sd after this (because I was able to reboot and copy stuff ok), but my phone sat there charging for a while, and I just saw a red led, but couldn't turn the screen back on, so I held the power button and nothing. Then I took the battery out and put it back in, nothing turns on at all, no LG logo, vibration... nothing. Tried another battery, same thing. Even though I don't think it makes sense or that it's related, I suggest NOT trying it to be on the safe side. I think it just died on it's own, I will see tommorow if I can exchange it for the other new dual core LG. I know it doesn't have hdmi but I don't use it so this might be goodbye guys as I won't have an esteem anymore

Upvote 0
hi guys,
I NEED SOME HELP...:(

So im running the esteem rooted with black plague and flashed the 2.2 kernel.now my problem is the sd card.ive researched that ppl have problems with the internal and external sd drives...so i did the ''vold.fstab'' and now the phone doesn't recognize any sd card...no pics, no music, when i go to file manager and other apps says no sd card mounted.the phone is working but im worried if something happens that if i need to reflash or a back up that the files on sd card wont be found.
so i read you can re-mount and push the original ''vold.stab'' file from the ROM.
NEED HELP DOING THIS...!!! ANYONE...

Or is there a way to go back the way it was? and no my dumbass replaced the og file instead of renaming it (also tried to push the ''vold.stab'' file to system/etc seemed to work but no changes)
still dont know how to ''re-mount'' using adb...

Upvote 0
Make 2 folders on your pc. One called INTERNAL, one called EXTERNAL
Connect to pc via usb
backup all the files in the INTERNAL drive, except the folder called _ExternalSD to the INTERNAL folder on your pc.
Copy all the contents from your sdcard's drive letter to EXTERNAL

Make a new folder on your pc called MERGED
In this order:
copy the contents of the EXTERNAL folder on your pc -> MERGED
copy the contents of the INTERNAL folder on your pc -> MERGED (overwrite if it asks)

replace the contents of /etc/vold.fstab with:
Code:
# Copyright (c) 2010, Code Aurora Forum. All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
# met:
#     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
#       copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
#       disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
#       with the distribution.
#     * Neither the name of Code Aurora Forum, Inc. nor the names of its
#       contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
#       from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
# MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT
# ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS
# BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
# CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
# SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
# BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
# OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
# IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label        - Label for the volume
## mount_point  - Where the volume will be mounted
## part         - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

#[STAR eMMC migration]
# LG_FW_SDCARD
##dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host
##dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 15 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
##dev_mount extsdcard /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc3
#
#Commented out by kanaida
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
#dev_mount extsdcard /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc3
#
#New Values:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount extsdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc3
#
#[STAR eMMC migration]
once that's done,
reboot your phone. Now the partitions are backwards :) internal is the real sd and external is your internal memory. You can now format them both if you want, connect back to your pc and copy the MERGED folder into the INTERNAL memory on your phone so all data is nice and merged in one place :D

may it work on a wildfire s android 2.3.5?? (ofc rooted)
because i have still the same problem...
less internal storage -.-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones