• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switch Keyboards Based on Screen Orientation

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I've been looking for a way to have my phone automatically switch keyboards based on screen orientation. I love SwiftKey for thumb typing in landscape. I use SwiftKey Flow in portrait. I just got Swype and find it is better than SwiftKey Flow in portrait, but SwiftKey is better in landscape. Ideally, I would like to be able to automatically switch between the two based on orientation.

I've done some searching and so far, all of the apps that can do this requires root. Is there any way I can set this up without needing root? I have looked at Tasker, but the documenation on Tasker says that it can only pop up the dialogue that gives the option of changing input methods and requires user interaction.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones