• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Switching back to Swype 2.1 from 2.2 on Droid X?

kidqwik

Nov 30, 2009
I had updated my DX to 2.2 a few weeks ago without rooting and DESPISE the new Swype keyboard in 2.2. It's smaller, white, and doesn't seem to work as well as the one installed on 2.1 on the DX which is black and seemed to have bigger keys to Swype to on the keyboard. How can I revert back to the old Swype keyboard that I had on 2.1 but keep 2.2 installed? I was told to move the Swype.apk file from 2.1 to the system/app directory in addition to the old lib file to the lib directory and then reboot the phone. The only problem is when I try to paste those files over, it won't let me. I'm guessing I need to be rooted to have access to those directories? What's the easiest way to root a 2.2 Droid X? Also, I was told the files need to be given special permissions. Is there an easier way to install the Swype from the DX running 2.1 onto a DX running the first leak of 2.2 for the DX? Help! Thanks in advance too. :)

I had updated my DX to 2.2 a few weeks ago without rooting and DESPISE the new Swype keyboard in 2.2. It's smaller, white, and doesn't seem to work as well as the one installed on 2.1 on the DX which is black and seemed to have bigger keys to Swype to on the keyboard. How can I revert back to the old Swype keyboard that I had on 2.1 but keep 2.2 installed? I was told to move the Swype.apk file from 2.1 to the system/app directory in addition to the old lib file to the lib directory and then reboot the phone. The only problem is when I try to paste those files over, it won't let me. I'm guessing I need to be rooted to have access to those directories? What's the easiest way to root a 2.2 Droid X? Also, I was told the files need to be given special permissions. Is there an easier way to install the Swype from the DX running 2.1 onto a DX running the first leak of 2.2 for the DX? Help! Thanks in advance too. :)
Have you figured anything out with this? I never did the update on my old phone which didn't work anymore, so they sent me a new one with the updates on it and I hate it! The different keyboard, the text messages not going in order.. I want my old phone back!!!!!

Upvote 0
I don't know if the actual swype version is 2.1 or that's just the Android OS version but I'm willing to switch my whole OS back to 2.1 just to get swype back...

Can anyone help. I miss what Swype used to be. It was a great app and I think was a revolution in the way to enter text messages. The new version of Swype is not good at all. It keeps popping up corrective words and not spelling words correctly. The keyboard view is smaller and harder to type on.

Swype 2.1 PLEASE, i need it back. !!! I purchased 2 of the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant phone just for the Swype feature and turned on 5 other people who all think this new upgrade is a mistake.

Anyone have an idea how to revert back to earlier version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones