• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype dictionary gone and replaced by something crappy

Hey everyone,

Maybe I'm totally in the wrong subforum for my question, if so, do tell me where I should post it instead.

I have used my S3 for about three months now without any problems. However, recently I installed an app, believing that this was the official Wikipedia app, but this turned out to be something mimicking it. It got 4+ stars on Google Play and no bad reviews or warnings or anything.

After some 48 h max or so decided that I wanted to get rid of it and so I did. However, during the short while that it was installed on my phone, my custom Swype dictionary apparently got erased. I am not sure as to whether this was because of the app or something else, but all my personal words were simply gone.

Bummer, I thought, but it also turned out that the 'new' old dictionary does not store any words - for 12 h or so maybe, but not any longer. Also, it just simply does not render a word like 'is' during swyping, and I really meticulously tried to teach it what I wanted to write.

So my question is: is it possible to manually reinstall my Swype dictionary without having to pay for it? What could be going on that a simple but important word like 'is' is not rendered like it should? There where no other difficulties or bugs during the brief while that this app was installed on my Galaxy or afterwards.

Thanks in advance, KR

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones