• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype Not Staying Default (Play Store version)

mrhomiec

Android Enthusiast
May 16, 2010
Arizona
has anyone else come across an issue when you restart your phone, you have to re-configure "Swype - Swype + Dragon" as the default keyboard?

i'm on a rooted Galaxy S3 (custom TouchWiz ROM).

i also have other keyboards (SwiftKey, TouchWiz Swype, Samsung keyboard, Android keyboard) installed. if i choose either of these other ones as default, restart phone, it stays default.

the only time i've ever frozen a "system" app, are TouchWiz based ones.

and what do you mean by reset? like flash a new ROM? but i think i get what you mean- by not having a keyboard available because of the previous setting that froze it.

if you flash (or re-flash) a custom ROM, the keyboard should be available because Titanium Backup hasn't had a chance to boot and freeze anything yet. (i think).

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Yeah not so much flashing another rom but factory resetting in general mate. Thinkin about it though, im never really gona do that without restoring a nandroid or flashin a rom after it and every rom ive used has included a keyboard i think :)
Ah right so the app (titanium) has to be there when you boot to freeze the apps? :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Reverts to default keyboard at reboot / restart

Whilst that relates to swiftkey, it gives an explanation as to why it happens.

The issue is that Google Play installs paid apps in a particular location on your phone and that in some versions of Android (particularly 4.1 on Samsung devices) this location is not available at the point in the boot process where keyboards are being switched on. So your phone does not know that you have SwiftKey, and it defaults back to the phone’s keyboard.

Upvote 0
On all of your sammys mate? Does the s3 Mini run the same touchwiz version as the s3?

Yes the S3mini has the same version. Except maybe the lockscreen. It only has 3 shortcuts and no water ripple effect, but everything else is the same. It even was released on JB.

And yes, swype works well on all my Samsung devices (Tab on 4.0.4, GS on 2.3.5 and S3 mini on 4.1.2)

Well, it seems I did nothing but just put it as default and did not get removed.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones