• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sync passwords, bookmarks & browsing history between Opera (Linux) + Firefox (Android)?

Seib

May 18, 2014
Ohio, USA
Desktop OS: Linux (Lubuntu distro)
Mobile OS: Android 4.1.2 JB
Password Manager: LastPass

I want to know if it is possible to sync my passwords, bookmarks, and browsing history between my Opera desktop browser and my Firefox mobile browser. As I mentioned above, I don't use my in-browser password manager; instead I use the LastPass browser extension.

Is this possible? And, if so, how would I do it?

Thanks in advance.

If I were you I would switch to firefox on your desktop and use its built in sync with the android app. Or use the opera browser on your android.

The only reason I'm using firefox on android is to sync with my desktop firefox.

It's not as easy to sync between different browsers. I used to sync between chrome and firefox using the x-marks extension in each browser, and apparently you can use x-marks with desktop Opera. However, you cannot sync directly with firefox on android using x-marks as an extension, but you can install x-marks app from play store (it costs money, though) and access your desktop browser bookmarks and tabs from the app, but not from within the firefox browser from what I can gather.

As I said, the easiest way of syncing across platforms is by using the same browser on each. I used to use Chrome, but now I've gone all firefox. But you can be all opera if you like and use Opera Link between its desktop and android browsers.

EDIT: Or you can access link.opera.com from your android browser to access your synced browser data once you have enabled sync in your desktop Opera browser.

Upvote 0
Alright. Well, I don't really want to use Opera Mini because of the privacy concerns I have with its OBML compression feature. But I really like Opera and I like how with the desktop browser, the OBML compression feature is optional ("Turbo mode"). But, I guess yeah that makes sense. Plus, Firefox has a lot more extensions, and a lot more that could help with privacy than Opera.

Thanks! :D

Upvote 0
As davoid said it's a problem syncing between browsers. FWIW I switched to Chrome (or Chromium on Linux) as soon as the Android version started supporting full sync and have never looked back.

Chrome/Chromium would never have been my first choice on any single platform but I have to confess I'm a sucker for the ultimate convenience of the slick seamless ability to visit some site on my phone while travelling and carrying on where I left off on my PC back home, complete with up to date changes to bookmarks/passwords/whatever made on any other device - or vice versa.

Effortless.

Upvote 0
As davoid said it's a problem syncing between browsers. FWIW I switched to Chrome (or Chromium on Linux) as soon as the Android version started supporting full sync and have never looked back.

Chrome/Chromium would never have been my first choice on any single platform but I have to confess I'm a sucker for the ultimate convenience of the slick seamless ability to visit some site on my phone while travelling and carrying on where I left off on my PC back home, complete with up to date changes to bookmarks/passwords/whatever made on any other device - or vice versa.

Effortless.

Okay, that makes sense.

Also, are you saying as well that Firefox doesn't have that up-to-date syncing ability with its mobile browser?

Upvote 0
Times change. I don't know the current status of Firefox Android but when I first tried it I found it awful, unreliable sync and full of bugs.

I already used Firefox as my preferred desktop browser so I was very disappointed; I tried the desktop Chrome to see if I could live with it and it was fine, so I finally adopted it and have no regrets of any sort.

Try Firefox Android by all means, it surely must have improved since I last tried to use it. But if all else fails (as in my case!) give Chrome a try. You might actually come to like it - as I (eventually) did:)

Upvote 0
Times change. I don't know the current status of Firefox Android but when I first tried it I found it awful, unreliable sync and full of bugs.

I already used Firefox as my preferred desktop browser so I was very disappointed; I tried the desktop Chrome to see if I could live with it and it was fine, so I finally adopted it and have no regrets of any sort.

Try Firefox Android by all means, it surely must have improved since I last tried to use it. But if all else fails (as in my case!) give Chrome a try. You might actually come to like it - as I (eventually) did:)

I love Chrome. I've used it before. It is awesome. However, I don't like how Google treats my data and, by extension, me as a person. So, I'm trying to get away from Google to some extent, so that's why I'm considering other alternatives, and with such a huge emphasis on privacy.

By the way, how long ago exactly did you last use Firefox Sync or whatever it's called? Thanks for the info. :)

Upvote 0
Can't remember exactly but it must have been about a year or so, perhaps a little more.

I'm not a fan of Google's data mining either but I'm also a pragmatist; what I get from using Chrome (and Google in general) far outweighs any minor privacy concerns I may have.

I don't trust my data with any big business but at least Google is honest and up-front about how it is used to make profit for them and give me useful products and services at no direct cost to me. Seems fair enough to me.

Upvote 0
Can't remember exactly but it must have been about a year or so, perhaps a little more.

I'm not a fan of Google's data mining either but I'm also a pragmatist; what I get from using Chrome (and Google in general) far outweighs any minor privacy concerns I may have.

I don't trust my data with any big business but at least Google is honest and up-front about how it is used to make profit for them and give me useful products and services at no direct cost to me. Seems fair enough to me.

Well, I don't want to get into any huge debate here since this isn't the place nor the time for it, but I personally don't feel like it outweighs the cons, nor do I feel like it is merely a minor issue. And I'm being careful about any company, not just Google.

In any case, thanks for the help! I appreciate your kindness. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones