• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Synching Music using Windows Media Player

Ranchdawg

Jun 9, 2010
After hours of hit and miss using programs like Double Twist etc. I found that the easiest way to sync music to the iHTC Music player is to use Windows Media Player and buy Album Art Grabber to load the album art. Once you have done the initial sync with WMP you can go back and load individual albums simply by dragging them to the sync area.

Connect your phone to the PC and unmount the SD card
Open WMP and click the sync tab.
Click the drive that represents your SD card (mine was H:/)
You will be prompted to sync everything for either this session or all sessions. (I always click this session only).

Works great and all I will need in the future!

I have playlists already in windows media player, and I can't sync the playlists on EVO 4G from the already created playlists in WMPlayer. I have googled it and can't figure it out.
any thoughts would really help. I don't want media monkey etc. I already have 1000+ songs on my player and all in the proper playlist groups. don't wanna redo it.

Upvote 0
i just use a backup program, like handbackup, to copy the wpl files from my pc to the music directory on the sd card. so far it seems to work. it means a two step process 1- drag the playlist in wmp to the sync pane to copy the music, then 2 - copy wpl files to the sd, but it seems to work.

to which folder on the sd card? the /music folder? just copy the .wpl files themselves and the media scanner will automatically convert it to a format that android understands?

I have tried copying it to the /playlists folder on the sd card and that didn't work... what I understand is that the MTP Application actually converts the .wpl files to a .pla format when syncing...

Upvote 0
If I sync the playlist in windows media player to my evo it will copy all the music over, but not the playlists themselves. I just grab them from my PC manually and copy them onto my device and they work fine. Not perfect, but spending and extra 30 seconds is no big deal to me. I use winamp beta for my mobile player btw.

Upvote 0
If I sync the playlist in windows media player to my evo it will copy all the music over, but not the playlists themselves. I just grab them from my PC manually and copy them onto my device and they work fine. Not perfect, but spending and extra 30 seconds is no big deal to me. I use winamp beta for my mobile player btw.

I think this fix works fine for all players that recognize .wpl files... but Samsung's stock player doesn't recognize it, so this method doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Samsung Captivate -
One of the BIG attractions of Android for me was that I would NOT have to use itoons. I could drag and drop files (both music and docs) from my PC to the droid. So I installed a 16GB Kigston SD card and dragged my music to the card using Windows Explorer (not internet explorer). I had created playlists using dbPoweramp on the PC. These playlists are in .m3u format and reside in the folder with the music files.
The PROBLEM - this worked sorta ok with MixZing Music Player and PowerAmp Music Player. However, I found MOST times I tried to play music, neither player could find the playlists. I got a good tip from MixZing to use Settings/Applications, Manage Applications/Media Storage/Clear Data and then have the applicable APP rescan the media. Many times, this gets the playlists back and both players works fine, but not always. "Pointing" to the music folder locations in the applicable app settings doesn't help. The first thing I noticed is I need to be patient. The droid OS is anything but fast. If I wait for the process above it works better. It is not sufficient to note the media scan completes in the taskbar.
I wonder if I am just being lucky or if dragging the files over rather than syncing really works. I also wonder about the .m3u playlists. MixZing says they ARE supported. I wonder if I have to reaccomplish everything. One thing I do NOT want to do is manually reconstruct playlists on the Captivate.
I have playlists with mixed songs. That is, the playlists are songs by different artists from different albums. I've given up trying to sort out the album art. Album art grabbers were only confused.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones