• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Syncing Droid and Mac Address Book without using Google sync

Same as above. I read the thread and the question: How do I sync my Mac address book (not my calendar) with my Android phone without Google has not been answered - at least not in a way that was comprehensible to me.

My reason for wanting to do this: Mac and Google addressbook don't recognize each other's groups. Also: I have a trusted email provider of 15 years and don't want to make my gmail my main email address, so I need to organize my email contacts in Mac and I would like to get those groups into my phone - somehow.

If anybody knows an answer or an app/program that helps with this please respond.

Upvote 0
To copy the contacts from Mac Address Book to Android - just export them from Address Book into one file vCards.vcf, copy it to, e.g., SD card (connecting the phone to Mac as USB storage first), then import the contacts into Contacts app on Android.

How to sync the two - is still an open question, as SyncMate didn't seem to work properly.

Upvote 0
That method will create Address Book groups on the Google account, consequently your phone.

Accounts preferences in Address Book, sync with Google after that.
If a user doesn't mind putting his Contacts in the Cloud then fine, the original method is nice and simple. For someone like me who does not want to involve the Cloud (aka Google account), I found no substitute for physically copying vCards.vcf file.

Upvote 0
Well that's Apple for you. They want you to use ONLY Apple. Their devices are great and all but I want more freedom in my choices.

Anyway, I'd think it would be dependent on the phone you have. Do they have Outlook on Macs? Because Samsung Kies, the official sync software for Samsung (syncs contacts, calendar, media, tasks, etc) has a Mac program. Maybe users can check that out.

Upvote 0
Well that's Apple for you. They want you to use ONLY Apple. Their devices are great and all but I want more freedom in my choices.
I don't think I understand. It doesn't seem to be a Mac/Apple problem. And Google sync works fine - I just can't allow my contacts to be stored in the Cloud (be it iCloud, Google Cloud, or whatever).

I love my wife's iPhone 4S, and my iPod Touch 4, and I enjoy my SGS2 Skyrocket too. I call it "plurality". :)

Anyway, I'd think it would be dependent on the phone you have. Do they have Outlook on Macs?
Oh yes, there's Outlook 2011 on Mac (and Entourage 2008 and 2004 - bastardized versions of Outlook from Office 2007 and 2003).

Because Samsung Kies, the official sync software for Samsung (syncs contacts, calendar, media, tasks, etc) has a Mac program. Maybe users can check that out.
Oh yes. there's Kies for Mac (though Samsung seems to have pulled it from their Web site now), there's SyncMate for Mac, and I'm told there's MissedSync for Mac. In my experience, neither Kies nor SyncMate did the initial sync - by which I mean downloading the extensive Contacts set from Mac to Android. No big deal, I did it manually in three simple steps: export the data as one file, copy that file to Android, import it into Contacts there. Perhaps now SyncMate would keep them in sync, we'll see.

Upvote 0
I don't think I understand. It doesn't seem to be a Mac/Apple problem. And Google sync works fine - I just can't allow my contacts to be stored in the Cloud (be it iCloud, Google Cloud, or whatever).

I love my wife's iPhone 4S, and my iPod Touch 4, and I enjoy my SGS2 Skyrocket too. I call it "plurality". :)

I meant, that if you aren't using an Apple device, you'd be looking at work arounds and other weird options to get what you want.

Oh yes, there's Outlook 2011 on Mac (and Entourage 2008 and 2004 - bastardized versions of Outlook from Office 2007 and 2003).

Oh yes. there's Kies for Mac (though Samsung seems to have pulled it from their Web site now), there's SyncMate for Mac, and I'm told there's MissedSync for Mac. In my experience, neither Kies nor SyncMate did the initial sync - by which I mean downloading the extensive Contacts set from Mac to Android. No big deal, I did it manually in three simple steps: export the data as one file, copy that file to Android, import it into Contacts there. Perhaps now SyncMate would keep them in sync, we'll see.

You separated the clauses. Outlook and Kies sync with each other, so what you need is to get your contacts to Entourage and sync to your phone with Kies using that. At least that's how I'd think it work, and I just saw Kies of Mac on the Samsung website?

Upvote 0
I meant, that if you aren't using an Apple device, you'd be looking at work arounds and other weird options to get what you want.
Ah, then I understand - you meant "if one uses an iPhone with Apple computer then it works smoothly, but trying to connect an Android to Apple is tough". Yes I agree - connecting iPhone through iTunes is trivially simple.

You separated the clauses. Outlook and Kies sync with each other, so what you need is to get your contacts to Entourage and sync to your phone with Kies using that. At least that's how I'd think it work, and I just saw Kies of Mac on the Samsung website?
  1. No, Kies and Outlook 2011 do not sync with each other - as I know first-hand because Outlook 2011 is installed on my Mac.
  2. Could you please post the URL to Kies for Mac (and for Windows)?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Is it possible to sync directly between Mac iCal and Address Book to Android (Motorola Droid) without using intervention from Google sync? (and keeping the information from syncing to Google)

I don't want my contacts and calender lying around in Googles cloud.

Thanks
Ken

In such case SyncMate is probably the best solution for you - not only it syncs data between Mac and Android directly (without necessity of using Google), it also syncs contacts and calendars for free:)

Upvote 0
Well it's taken enormous patience and trying about a zillion different things, but I finally got it working. Feeling grateful to everyone who offered suggestions, helped with this mess. Now that it's working though, it's beautiful ... and was worth it. :)

Android phone, here I come!

AND HOW????? I am suffering here and cant get it working. SyncMate just sucks with the nexus and i really need help!

Please. thx in advance

Upvote 0
Also very keen to know how to do this. It's a pity Starstuff didn't share his/her stuff. A couple of years have passed by since the OP. Have any new ways come to light as a solution to syncing contacts and calendar from a Mac to an android device without sharing everything with Google?

yep pretty much feel the same ... any words of wisdom how to synch my mac address book /cal with my htc one without having to switch to google etc ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones