• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Syncing Play Counts to itunes

I was wondering if there was a way to sync back information about how many times you listened to a song, to itunes on my computer. Im huge on the smart playlists, especially having my top 50 most listened to. It bothers me if I listen to a song a ton, and it doesn't climb up in the rankings.

I saw on some site that maybe using TuneWiki (which is what I already use), then linking to last.fm might enable to do this. But how? I saw something about a scrobbler that would help, but I don't get what I would do. Put a scrobbler app on the comp as last.fm is offering, or find a scrobbler app for my phone in order to sync that with itunes?

Anyone found a good way to do this, or a work around?

I don't think any app will ever surface to sync playcounts with itunes. Even my iPod doesn't even sync playcounts correctly with iTunes!. Last.FM is a great alternative, and it works with almost any music player I can think of. It keeps a record of all your tracks and playcounts on their website. You can view your 'stats' within any period and also look at friends' music 'stats.' Because I listen to music on so many platforms (ipod, android, itunes, linux), my Last.fm playcounts are way more accurate than the itunes playcount. On your android phone, download the app 'ScrobbleDroid' and any music you play on the phone will be tracked to ww.Last.fm (first sign up for a free account) It works with the native android music player, Mixzing, and Meridian.

Upvote 0
And I forgot to add, if you have an ipod, the last.fm application on your PC syncs those tracks to the website as well.

I got this all set up with my droid, and my itunes on my computer. Now I'll always have updated play count information! You sir are the best. I'm not particularly OCD in anything in my life, but play count was one of them, and you really solved that problem for me. Much obliged!

Upvote 0
I read this forum post a couple of weeks ago and agreed that this was hole in the Android platform, so I wrote an app. My app "iSyncr" (in the Android Market) will allow you to sync iTunes (Windows Only) playlists with your Android phone. It also runs a service on your phone that keeps track of playcounts, skip counts, and last played time (that is it for now, I'll add last skipped time and other stuff later). So you can effective sync a smart playlist with your Android phone, which is all I really wanted to do to begin with. Note that if you use this, you won't want to sync last.fm back to iTunes, because it will double your playcounts.

My app is still new and I'm updating it often, so feedback, bugs reports and features are welcome.

Here is a link to the FAQ and Tutorial for the app
JRT Studio: iSyncr Tutorial
JRT Studio: iSyncr FAQ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones