• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile coverage in Fairfax, VA?

eraser

Oct 9, 2009
I am thinking of switching to T-Mobile as soon as they get an Android 2.0 device.

I've heard that T-Mobile coverage can be less than stellar in some areas and I was wondering if any forum members living in or close to Fairfax can share their experiences.

T-Mobile's coverage map looks good, but I would like to hear from actual customers.

How's T-Mobile's voice and 3G coverage in the area?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I get repeatedly told that T-Mo's coverage in my area, the Balt/DC corridor (I know, a little off), is better than AT&T's. From Rhode Island, to North Carolina, I only experienced 2 dead spots on/near I-95 with AT&T and a Motorola Q (YMMV with other phones) and I rarely find myself, if ever, on the Edge network. I regularly find myself in the Reston/Dulles area and still keep (4) bars (full signal) or (3) at worst. That said, if the T-Mo reports are true, I would think that Fairfax coverage would be solid.

I had (2) different Droid's and hit (5) dead spots in my town alone, just 2 miles from the VZ store...took them back and canceled service. I only mention that because I'll be ordering a Milestone in a few days to put on T-Mo's network. If you want to follow my reports, check the Droid forums in about a week or so.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how any HTC or Milestone/Motorola device would fair, but I used my Nokia N900 on a trip to Dulles Airport, from Baltimore, and had full bars of 3G most of the whole time on T-Mo (it dipped a few times from 5 "full" to 3 bars). I get their 3.5G pretty much everywhere I've been from NOVA to Philly. service (good for 2.9Mb down/1.8Mb up in one part of Philly's 7Mb network) via the $10 "web2go" plan.

Upvote 0
I'm in richmond, va and get consistent 3 if not 4 bars 3G coverage all over richmond - i travel north thru DC quite a bit and service up there is even better - in fact, have never found a dead spot all up & down the eastern seaboard - go down to orlando Fl twice a year, NY once, CT and Boston once a year

Upvote 0
I get repeatedly told that T-Mo's coverage in my area, the Balt/DC corridor (I know, a little off), is better than AT&T's. From Rhode Island, to North Carolina, I only experienced 2 dead spots on/near I-95 with AT&T and a Motorola Q (YMMV with other phones) and I rarely find myself, if ever, on the Edge network. I regularly find myself in the Reston/Dulles area and still keep (4) bars (full signal) or (3) at worst. That said, if the T-Mo reports are true, I would think that Fairfax coverage would be solid.

I had (2) different Droid's and hit (5) dead spots in my town alone, just 2 miles from the VZ store...took them back and canceled service. I only mention that because I'll be ordering a Milestone in a few days to put on T-Mo's network. If you want to follow my reports, check the Droid forums in about a week or so.

You do know your going to be on EDGE with no 3G if your on T-Mobiles network right? Milestone doesn't support UMTS 1700AWS Band.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones