• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Take app from one rom and install on another

How can I take an app from one ROM and install it on another through the adb commands. like say I want to take the keyboard, or maybe friend stream from one ROM, and then install it on another?

Either use root explorer (well worth the price if you are not good with adb commands) or use adb to grab the apk and copy to your sdcard/computer. Now remember, apps like friend stream will not work on just any ROM. And before you ask, I dont know which ROMs it will work on. You will just have to do trial and error. And if you are worried you might screw something up, remember, NAND is your friend.

Upvote 0
Either use root explorer (well worth the price if you are not good with adb commands) or use adb to grab the apk and copy to your sdcard/computer. Now remember, apps like friend stream will not work on just any ROM. And before you ask, I dont know which ROMs it will work on. You will just have to do trial and error. And if you are worried you might screw something up, remember, NAND is your friend.

Thanks!! any way you could direct me towards were i can find the adb commands for grabbing the .apk and compying to sdcard??

Upvote 0
Thanks!! any way you could direct me towards were i can find the adb commands for grabbing the .apk and compying to sdcard??

There's about 18 ways to skin that cat.

The easiest way to do that is just unzip the ROM on your PC, and you will find all the .apk files in either /data/app (market apps) or /system/app (pre-installed apps)

If you want to grab them from the phone to the PC using adb, then, e.g.

adb shell ls "/data/app*" (Windows quoting, Unix would be adb shell ls '/data/app/*')

or

adb shell ls "/system/app/*"

will get you a listing, and (e.g.)

adb pull /data/app/BlahBlahBlahBestAppInTheWorld.apk BlahBlahBlahBestAppInTheWorld.apk

will copy it from the phone to the PC. (This only works for rooted ROMs due to permission issues).

If you want to install it from the PC to the the phone, then how about

adb install BlahBlahBlahBestAppInTheWorld.apk

You can find a short summary of adb command options by typing "adb -help" at your command prompt.

If you want to find out what the universe of possibilities using a Linux command shell on the phone is (adb shell), you'll need to study up about the Unix/Linux command line - that's way too big a topic to describe here.

Google is your friend.

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones