• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Take my ATRIX back for 2?

Considering...

-No area in the US even has 14.4Mbps HSDPA, much less the newer 21Mbps that the Atrix 2 uses
-The Atrx 2 has LESS memory (They shorted the internal "Media" storage area and give you a 2GB sd card with the phone instead.
-I've yet to find anything that my Atrix can't run on it's CPU or memory.
-The only real "Upgrade" is that the camera is now 8Mp instead of 5Mp

I don't see any reason to switch out, unless you just HAVE to have the latest and greatest phone.

Here's the full details...
[FONT=&quot]Motorola ATRIX™ 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Motorola ATRIX™ 2 combines “extreme power” with “life of the party.” With its 1 GHz dual core processor and access to 4G speeds, entertainment lovers will revel in the ability to quickly download music and video and browse rich web pages in high-resolution on the 4.3-inch qHD display. Capture video in 1080p HD and display it on any size HD monitor with an HDMI cable using Mirror mode. With Motorola’s webtop application, you can browse the web with a full Firefox browser. Dock your phone in the optional HD Station** and browse the web on any size HD TV or monitor, or connect to the new Motorola Lapdock 100**, with optional full keyboard**, to use its multiple window capabilities to surf the web, make a call, send a text, stream a video or run a business application on the large screen all simultaneously.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While the ATRIX 2 boasts a great deal of entertainment value, features such as device and microSD card encryption, enterprise-grade VPN, enhanced Exchange options and personal information management and remote wipe make this device business-ready. Enterprise customers and personal users will enjoy the new free ZumoCast app, giving users hassle-free access to their music, playlists, pictures and videos stored on their computer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UMTS 850/1900/2100
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
4G HSPA+ 21 Mbps (Category 14)
1 GHz dual-core processor
Internal memory: 8 GB ROM, 1 GB RAM, 2 GB microSD™ card (expandable to 32GB)
Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
4.3-inch qHD screen 960x540TFT, with more than 500,000 pixels for sharper, clearer display
8 MP camera and LED flash with faster viewfinder start-up and shutter speeds than a digital camera
Front-facing camera
1080p HD video capture, 30 frames per second playback
On Device Encryption (ODE) and Enhanced Exchange ActiveSync

Upvote 0
I can't really see a reason to not take it back. I got my GF the Atrix 2weeks ago, and unless she doesn't like the bigger screen we'll be taking it back for a (hopefully) free exchange.
The camera is a huge improvement and worth it all by itself.

WOW, how did you get it weeks ago, it just came out yesterday, that is sooo cool no matter which way you go.
=============================
Anyways

Here are the 3 main areas that stand out in difference (the rest is really the same or not different enought to make me want to swicth) This is my opinion and I hope it helps

(A1) (A2)
The camera 5MP/720P 8MP/1080P
(If you want a camera that can make calls, than the A2 is a better choice. I have a digital camera that is better than either phone, so this point is moot for me)

Screen Size 4" 4.3"
(If you do no mind using 2 hands all the time, A2. Personally I like to be able to hold my phone in one hand and be able to touch the entire screen, it is the same reason the iPhone is the size it is. You cannot do this with the A2, To access the far side and the upper and lower corners you must use two hands and can be an issue if you are holding something in your other hand)
(and I like the little battery life I have, having a larger screen, means the screen takes more juice to be on, and amounts to a shorter batter life)

Internal Memory 16GB 8GB
(This right here is a big issue, I need my space and loosing 8GB of internal is a problem, so I guess if you do not need the room, the A2 is ok)

as a side note, I wonder if the A2 allows HDMI mirroring like the bionic???

So with that, this is a choice the main phone's user needs to make. We all have our own reasons, but I hope it helps the OP decide what is best. By the way if you have a second, check out the A2 section and see what people are saying over there.

Reactions: WolfmanRobby
Upvote 0
WOW, how did you get it weeks ago, it just came out yesterday, that is sooo cool no matter which way you go.

Re-read What they said James...
They are talking about taking the Atrix that they got 2 weeks ago back for an Atrix 2.
(I think maybe a comma was left out of their sentence, but I'm not here to be the grammar police! :p)

Reactions: james27007
Upvote 0
The original atrix is loaded! More memory than the 2 and the only thing I can see is a better camera on the 2. If you rely on your phone to be your primary camera then you have a crappy camera. I several 4 megapixel cameras that outperform the camera on my original atrix and they cost less and do more. I also have a 20 megapixel slr so my phone is just for taking cute pics when I don't have a camera. I've never really used a phone camera anyway and would buy a phone with more memory/storage over a camera anyday.

Never, the atrix 2 is like the iphone 4S to get people that want a cheaper phone and are ready to switch off of their current plan.

Upvote 0
Does at&t have the slowest network out right now. Cause i don't know why they are claiming 4g speeds when my phone can't even get 8 mbps.

To be honest, its hard to say. (Going by the numbers, I think so.) We can't really go by the numbers though, because in real life situations, it depends on how many people are using data on the network at the same time and your location.

Upvote 0
Does at&t have the slowest network out right now. Cause i don't know why they are claiming 4g speeds when my phone can't even get 8 mbps.

4G does not have a set "Speed." It's just the label for the "Technology" that they are using for the connection.

To be honest, there is NO 4G.
Every 4G that is being sold is really a 3.5G technology. That goes for the HSDPA (AT&T/T-Mobile), LTE (AT&T/Verizon (And Sprint is moving to LTE)), and WiMax (Sprint). None of them are real 4G.

Real 4G was supposed to be a minimum of 100Mbps to a client in motion (Moving from tower to tower), 1Gbps to a stationary client, and full IP6.

But, all of the carriers complained and moaned and the official consortium that sets those standards caved and lowered the standards.

It sucks, but that's what we've been stuck with.

Upvote 0
I exchanged my A1 for the A2 on Sunday and I'm very happy. I am still within my 30 day trial (which ends this Thursday, 10-20-11, so I'm glad the A2 came out when it did) so I was able to upgrade.

The A2 doesn't have the fingerprint scanner and it does have less memory, but I will never use all that memory and the larger screen and Zumocast more than make up for the lack of the scanner (IMO)

The A2 comes with the Zumocast app (zumocast.com) which will connect to either a PC or a MAC (I have a MAC). While at work today, I connected my A2 to iTunes on my MAC at home and played a song from a play list I have in iTunes. With Zumocast there is no need to keep music on a memory card on your phone. Videos stored on your computer can also be played via Zumocast on the A2.

"They" say Zumocast is a free service so I'll have to see if the music streaming uses any data or not. From what I can tell, so far, Zumocast is the biggest reason to upgrade to the A2. Zumocast is only on 3 phones out there right now, on AT&T.

Another big benefit is the A2 does NOT have Motoblur. I hated Motoblur!

The A2 is very fast and I LOVE the larger screen. The .3 inches makes a big difference.

If you're wondering if you should upgrade, go into an AT&T store and take a look at the A2, first hand; it's the only way you will know if the A2 is worth the upgrade or not.

I am not sorry I upgraded at all. I'm going to have this phone for 2 years and it will keep my happy. I did put a 32gb micro-sd card in the phone, also, so I have plenty of storage on the phone.

I wanted to buy a protective skin/case for the phone, but the guy I worked with at AT&T said it would be a couple of weeks before any skins or cases would be out on the market. I have a leather holster w/belt clip I used with my A1 and the A2 fits perfectly.

I did get a screen protector for the phone and it's pretty cool. It's new (I forget the name right now, i-something, made by a company with an Asian sounding name) and it sticks to the screen around the edges of the phone so there are no bubbles between the screen and the protector. The protector can be removed and washed, over and over, if needed. The protector also covers the AT&T logo at the bottom of the phone and the Motorola logo at the top of the phone. The protector was $25.00.

I checked online and it's not on the site yet. Actually, the guy I worked with at AT&T had to go into the back to get the protector for me. AT&T doesn't even have the protector out on the pegs in the store, yet. I'll post the name of the protector and the company after I get home from work, in case anyone is interested.
tl

Upvote 0
The lack of a fingerprint scanner is a negative for me.

I prefer to control of having my music on the phone, and not dependent on an internet connection to stream my own music. Especially since I do a lot of outdoor activites (like hiking in the mtns) where there is little ot no signal. Not to mention that I personally despise iTunes and think its the crappiest media program out there. The fact that the iPhone requires the use of iTunes is one of the reasons I refuse to own one.

MotoBlur is only a problem if you use it. I switched to launcher pro months ago.

So, the reasons you list for upgrading are all reasons I would rather stick to my A1.

Upvote 0
The lack of a fingerprint scanner is a negative for me.

I prefer to control of having my music on the phone, and not dependent on an internet connection to stream my own music. Especially since I do a lot of outdoor activites (like hiking in the mtns) where there is little ot no signal. Not to mention that I personally despise iTunes and think its the crappiest media program out there. The fact that the iPhone requires the use of iTunes is one of the reasons I refuse to own one.

MotoBlur is only a problem if you use it. I switched to launcher pro months ago.

So, the reasons you list for upgrading are all reasons I would rather stick to my A1.

Well, I am not telling anyone they HAVE to go out and get the new ATRIX 2; I am simply stating the reasons I like the phone. As you stated, everyone uses their phones differently and so the ATRIX 2 may not be for you.

Myself, I think it's silly to have a music player in a Smartphone, given the amount of power the phone uses to just perform phone functions and going online. Having one devise to use is nice, but if you drain your phone listening to music and need your phone, you're stuck - unless you carry a lot of extra batteries. :)

The battery in the ATRIX 2 is larger than the battery in the ATRIX 1. The A2 battery is 1975 Mah. I think the A1 has an 1800 Mah battery (or something around there). I believe the new processor in the A2 is faster and more efficient, too, so the A2's battery life should be longer than the A1's (this is just a guess since I've not had the A2 long enough to compare the two phones).
tl

Upvote 0
Well, I am not telling anyone they HAVE to go out and get the new ATRIX 2; I am simply stating the reasons I like the phone. As you stated, everyone uses their phones differently and so the ATRIX 2 may not be for you.

Myself, I think it's silly to have a music player in a Smartphone, given the amount of power the phone uses to just perform phone functions and going online. Having one devise to use is nice, but if you drain your phone listening to music and need your phone, you're stuck - unless you carry a lot of extra batteries. :)

The battery in the ATRIX 2 is larger than the battery in the ATRIX 1. The A2 battery is 1975 Mah. I think the A1 has an 1800 Mah battery (or something around there). I believe the new processor in the A2 is faster and more efficient, too, so the A2's battery life should be longer than the A1's (this is just a guess since I've not had the A2 long enough to compare the two phones).
tl

Reactions: WolfmanRobby
Upvote 0
im with the majority here.
the atrix 2 seems almost like a downgrade in my opinion.

because:
- smaller memory,
- not being able to utilize the faster speeds,
- i too have a much better actual camera for shooting needs, and the impromptu pics, the one i have right now is fine, ask most photographers and they'll tell you megapixels ISNT the feature to put your focus on when buying a camera.

- no fingerprint scanner?!?! one of the atrix's unique features, why even call it an atrix? ;)

Upvote 0
Yep, went in a checked it out yesterday and within 30 days. Still feels great in the hand, lack of memory isn't an issue for my GF, better screen (not that I can really tell) and better (not just bigger but a better image sensor) pictures is a definite plus.

Not knocking the original, but as we're still within exchange I think that's the route we'll be taking.

Upvote 0
I got a chance to play with the Atrix 2 for about 30 min. today. I did a comparison with my Atrix 4G, with the screens, camera and internet. I was really impressed at how much better the Atrix 2 screen was and sharp. The camera does indeed take better pictures and they look much clearer. (The darker colors do look better then on the Atrix 4G.) The web browsing was a little slower then the Atrix 4G. I'm still sticking with my Atrix 4G though. But, if a sharper and larger screen, better camera and mirrioring is what you need, then the Atrix 2 is the phone to get.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones