Task/kill Manager..General

Last Updated:

1. rhod

rhod Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone recommend a good task manager to get from the market.

Been using the super security app which has slowed my phone down and the task manager on it isnt the best

Few people saying a 'task killer' is bad for androids. Again anyone got an opinion on this?

thanks

Advertisement
    vanthao87 likes this.
  2. BobbyPhoenix

BobbyPhoenix Well-Known Member

I'm one with "bad for androids". They are not needed, and actually do more harm than good. The OS can manage tasks much better than any app ever could.

3. cyberpedz

cyberpedz Active Member

Agree with above, you really on't need them android is designed to manage tasks and kill them when more memory is needed. The do cause more problems than doing good but if you really want one then Advanced task manager is a good one used by many.

But seriously you really should not use one :)

4. Styxx

Styxx Well-Known Member

As we're on the topic, what's the deal with closing applications on the DHD? I got mine on Friday and I've noticed that some things don't seem to fully close. For instance, if I get out of the internet app by pressing the home key, when I go back later it'll be on the same page as when I exited it. Does this mean it's still running in the background?

5. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Yes, it is running in the background, but the OS realises that it's not actually being used so it reduces resources for it to a minimum.
    Kind of how it manages all apps, but some apps actually do close when you exit them, & therefore take no system resources.

6. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Exit using the back button (might take a while when browsing a lot)

Or get a browser with an exit button (Dolphin HD, for example)

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Android is designed to keep it's RAM full of apps, so that they are quickly available when you need them. However only active apps will be draining power/using the CPU; apps can be stored in RAM but inactive.

So you shouldn't really worry about what's running in the background. Unless you have a poorly written and misbehaving app, a task killer will be doing more harm than good.

8. Styxx

Styxx Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks guys, good to know. And Eddy, I did try using the back button but I figured at the end of the day it wasn't exiting the program any more than using the home button. It only seems that way because the next time you open the browser it's at your home page, but that's only because it's the last page you visited, seeing as you backed up to the first page you visited before exiting. I will have a look at Dolphin HD though, thanks!

9. SpencerUk

SpencerUk Well-Known Member

I installed TasKiller simply because I don't like having background apps xD

Does the job for me and keeps everything running well :)

10. Pencheven

Pencheven Active Member

You shouldn't need a Task killer anyway, using Froyo you can manage your applications and services (and stop them if desired) through Settings > Applications..

As already stated though, an application that is still running in the background is managed by the phone, and if not actively being used, does not consume any more power; it just allows quicker access as its stored in memory..

11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

And if you kill an inactive app android will do what it's programmed to do and start it up again (as you've probably noticed), which does drain power.