• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tasker- Official Post your uses thread

I see there have been a lot of tasker threads floating around, but none dedicated to users posting their task/profile ideas. I personally love the pwer this app has to offer, but I'm always stumped trying to think of clever uses for this great program. So pretty simple I guess: post your uses of Tasker. (Tasker v1.0.5 Application for Android | Tools).
and if we could, let's try to keep this thread as on-topic as possible. If you have a specific question regarding how to set up a particular task you want to achieve there is another tasker thread geared much more towards that purpose. (Unless of course it is a specific task from this thread...we can of course share that info :)

I dont have anything particularly special but I guess I'll Start:

1. When charging- brightness to max and keyguard off; brightness to minimum and keyguard on when unplugged

2. When in car- Load music player, turn volume to near max and keyguard off

3. Every night at midnight change wallpaper and widget icons (cycling through 4 sets currently, hopefully up to 7 eventually)

4. Airplane mode from midnight to 7 am

5. Custom alarm mon-sat morning with mp3 playing and text to speech voice over with custom message.

Anyone else?

Just to add, access the Tasker WiKi where you can download and post exported Profile/Tasks. That's the wonderful thing about Tasker, individual Profiles and Tasks can be exported and given to someone else who can import them to run, tweak to their likeness, or whatever...

I've been using Tasker since beta.10 back in February, and over time I currently have created 45 Profiles and 20 Task routines...WHAT AN APP! I even left Tasker disabled one day to see how much battery life was impacted by all of my routines, and at the end of the day I didn't notice any significant difference.

Highlights
1) Lot's of alarms with snooze and vibrate if audio is muted
2) A Home Security SMS text message send and receive to enable/disable security by location
3) Busy calendar events to mute for meetings
4) Keyguard disabling when power is connected
5) Muting all other audio when in call
6) SDCARD file automatic copy/backup when a specified file is closed
7) Car mode when headset and power are connected to auto launch Music and toggle pause to start playing music automatically then stop the music when unplugged
8) And my latest creation still in its infancy is attempting to manage Bluetooth on/off in various situations.

Also, I am of course running my ShipsBells creation from the Tasker WiKi.

Reactions: dukeforever333
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input! Very useful to know about the battery too...that's something I have been wondering about. Good info to know

While Tasker is very efficient in terms of battery use, it is possible turn it into a battery hog. The easiest way to do so is to use a GPS-based location context by itself. But if you're battery conscious when creating your profiles, Tasker will certainly do its part.

In my case, my GPS-based location profiles also require a connection to a power source (either AC or USB). If the power source isn't there, Tasker doesn't bother checking the GPS location, as there is no point in doing so.

Another way to get reasonably accurate location info is to combine a network-based Location context with a Wifi Near context. Tasker will look for a specific Wifi network, but only if you're within the general area defined by the network-only Location.

Using the default settings, network-only Location contexts have virtually no impact on battery life.

Reactions: dukeforever333
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones