• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tasker Ringtones

mrhomiec

Android Enthusiast
May 16, 2010
Arizona
this came to my mind when i was flashing my most recent custom ROMs.

one of the earliest things i loved about Android years ago was having unique ringtones for each person.

but now that i flash new ROMs every other week/month, i don't like going thru the trouble of re-configuring specific contacts with their own ringtone.

one of the first rules about rooted devices, is to not restore system data (like Contact settings). therefore i found it annoying to do this every time i flashed a new ROM. so comes Tasker!...

create a Profile for an Event > Phone > Phone Ringing and/or Received Text, and select the person/people you want to have unique ringtones for.

then there's a Task for Audio > Default Ringtone. here, you select the actual ringtone to play.

and that's it!

keep in mind tho, if you are rooted, and using system provided Ringtones, they may be swapped out of the custom ROM you are switching between. but if you are using your own files, it should detect the same files. (should).

also for rooted devices, just make sure you have a backup of you Tasker settings via its own ability, or something like Titanium Backup.

(the next thing i need to figure out, is how to create Alarms, without having additional alarms being created each time)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones