• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tech dummy looking to root this phon

rlugo29

Android Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2011
Ok, Im pretty much a tech dummy, but I want to root this phone to remove pre-installed apps. It seems that there are a tone of how to treads, but they all seem different. Can someone point me to the easiest way to root this phone with the most step by step directions?

If all you want to do with root is remove apps, root isn't really needed; you can simply disable the apps instead. They won't run in the background, won't prompt for updates, etc. Pre-installed, unremoveable apps (we call it "bloatware", although I prefer "crapplications") are what are known as "system" apps, and are installed on the system in internal storage. This partition has a set size, so deleting those apps won't actually free up any space for other apps or storage. Go into your system settings, under the "More" tab tap the "Application manager", scroll right to "All", select the app to disable, and tap "Turn Off". Be very careful and sure of what you want to disable though. Disabling the wrong thing can cause crashes and force-closes.

If you are a "tech dummy", as you say, you need to realize that root is very powerful, and although amazing things can be done with it, it's also very easy to completely screw your phone up. I'm 34, and yet I've never driven a car in my life. So naturally you wouldn't throw me the keys to your Lamborghini and tell me to drive through the Alps, or park a Hummer in a crowded parking lot.

If you're still instant on rooting your phone, let me know and I'll whip up a step-by-step for you. The good news is that the method to root includes custom recovery with which you can make a full backup of your phone, so if you DO screw something up, you can always restore it to the way it was.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones