• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wide awake

Feb 23, 2011
With the prime release just a few days away, I am wondering if I should take the plunge and replace my waterlogged Xoom or wait for more quad core tabs to be released.

Does anyone know if there is anything else being released in the next few months that will compete with the prime? Will there be a big difference between my Xoom and the Prime?

With the prime release just a few days away, I am wondering if I should take the plunge and replace my waterlogged Xoom or wait for more quad core tabs to be released.

Does anyone know if there is anything else being released in the next few months that will compete with the prime? Will there be a big difference between my Xoom and the Prime?

As far as I know, the next tablet with Tegra 3 will be the Lenovo K2, though there is no official announcement yet. I am actually waiting for the K2 because the Transformer Prime at launch will be a wifi-only version (which is a big letdown for me because I want a 3G version).
For me, there will be big difference between the Xoom (Tegra 2) and Prime (Tegra 3). For instance, Tegra 2 devices cannot play any 720p h.264 high profile level 4.1 videos, so effectively I cannot watch any of my HD videos on the Xoom. Moreover, if you go to Youtube desktop size, you should always stick to 360-480p setting for videos (since Tegra 2 can handle no more than that). This problem is supposed to be fixed with Tegra 3 where Blu-ray quality videos can be played smoothly.
Personally, the reasons I want a tablet are to read ebooks and watch movies. If you don't watch movies or videos on your tablet, all the things I have just mentioned may not concern you at all (unless you go to youtube desktop site, then you will definitely see how Tegra 2 perform so poorly).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones