• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus and 2.2

Reactions: mytwok and dinaro
Upvote 0
So, sorry to semi hijack this thread and I know it's probably been discussed a million times but can somebody confirm these are the basic steps to upgrading to 2.2 from 2.1 on telus without rooting?

1. Create goldcard from a new fat 32 formatted microSD card
2. Download appropriate RUU. So I think this is the generic RUU ROM upgrade that can be used for Telus.
Download the RUU here:
Shipped ROMs
3. Then flash blah blah..from the thread that was posted above.

Upvote 0
Going to throw this thread back on track a bit.

Talked to two Telus reps today. One was nice the other one should probably lose their job at some point. Anyway neither of them knew when the update was coming. As far as they knew it was October and not November but take everything we hear with a grain of salt. I will keep pestering them every few days.

Most I heard was other carriers were experiencing problems with 2.2 and they want it to work so they don't have to deal with our calls when it doesn't. So here's hoping for tomorrow.

Reactions: MDesire2010
Upvote 0
I thought I'd throw this one in here. I emailed HTC regarding this, asking them what they know about this update. Here's the response I received:

"I can understand the need to keep your Telus Desire by HTC up to date. However, before releasing a ROM update we have to be sure that the software is going to work properly on your hardware and on your carrier’s network. This testing does take some time but will result in an update that is optimized to work on your device, on your carrier’s network. While we want to release software as soon as we can we will only do so once the software has passed our quality standards.

At this time we do not have any information about an update for your device. When the update is released it will be announced on HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs. If you’d like we can also take your information and contact you once an update has been released. However, your device by designed is programmed to check the server every 14 days for software updates automatically. "

This is kind of upsetting. Telus is probably the most unreliable carrier, but I'm sure that's because I'm with them and only see their shittyness. Regardless, please keep us updated, chaoticfury and whoever has information.

Reactions: MDesire2010
Upvote 0
I thought I'd throw this one in here. I emailed HTC regarding this, asking them what they know about this update. Here's the response I received:

"I can understand the need to keep your Telus Desire by HTC up to date. However, before releasing a ROM update we have to be sure that the software is going to work properly on your hardware and on your carrier

Upvote 0
I don't think they're unreliable at all. I'd much rather have their 2.2 tweaked out of the box and not have to deal with troubleshooting like they said. Granted we all have our experiences with carriers so to each their own. I wasn't aware they check only every 14 days though! I've been checking it manually every night since August haha.

+1 Gotta agree.

I'd rather have a working Froyo than one with bugs...

Upvote 0
So, sorry to semi hijack this thread and I know it's probably been discussed a million times but can somebody confirm these are the basic steps to upgrading to 2.2 from 2.1 on telus without rooting?

1. Create goldcard from a new fat 32 formatted microSD card
2. Download appropriate RUU. So I think this is the generic RUU ROM upgrade that can be used for Telus.
Download the RUU here:
Shipped ROMs
3. Then flash blah blah..from the thread that was posted above.

That is all there is to it very simple!!!!

Reactions: dinaro
Upvote 0
Funny thing is there's almost 0 modifications to Telus' version of 2.1 (compared to vanilla), all it has are the Telus homepage and dsiabled GSM bands whereas vanilla ROM will enable GSM for when you travel. It's not heavily branded like say O2 or Verizon which shoves in a bunch of bloatware.

There's gotta be another reason why a carrier takes longer than usual to port a version over especially when it takes this long...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones