• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Temperature reading with TempMonitor and SetCPU

AndroidsOfTara

Android Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2009
Tara
I am currently running BB 0.5 / ESE53 (don't care about having more than three home screens) and AdamZ low voltage kernel at 800MHz.

I have both SetCPU (obviously) and TempMonitor installed.

I have TempMonitor set to display the temperature in the notification bar with the refresh interval at .5 seconds.

I also have the SetCPU widget on a home screen.

I have frequently noticed that the temperature reported by these two programs frequently differs by several degrees. I have seen it differ as much as 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Since both programs are monitoring the battery temperature, why is there a difference? Does it have any relation to how often each program is reading the sensor? I can't find anywhere to set the refresh interval in SetCPU.

Should either of these two programs be considered more accurate than the other?

Thanks.

Attachments

• droidtemp.jpg
    droidtemp.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 75
I am currently running BB 0.5 / ESE53 (don't care about having more than three home screens) and AdamZ low voltage kernel at 800MHz.

I have TempMonitor set to display the temperature in the notification bar with the refresh interval at .5 seconds.

I have frequently noticed that the temperature reported by these two programs frequently differs by several degrees. I have seen it differ as much as 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Since both programs are monitoring the battery temperature, why is there a difference? Does it have any relation to how often each program is reading the sensor? I can't find anywhere to set the refresh interval in SetCPU.

Thanks.

I have tried to find some information on this but my SetCPU temp is even further off than what you are reporting. I just looked...there is 7 degrees difference and that seems like the norm on my phone.

SetCPU didn't always include those measurements so I'm not sure how accurate it is. I would be inclined to trust TempMonitor...but I have no factual reasoning. Sorry...not much help I'm sure.

The good news is that you really don't need to be concerned with the battery temperature until it reaches over 45 deg C from what I have read. Now I have had mine hotter than that and haven't had any issues. I've been close to 55 deg C before...intensionally to stress my phone out. Normal operation...not so much.

Upvote 0

Thanks.

SetCPU measures the battery temp I believe. Are you displaying the CPU temp in the notification bar through TempMonitor? If so, that may be the where the confusion lies.

Upvote 0
I always wondered why there was a difference in temperatures also with SetCPU and TempMonitor. What I did was in TempMonitor, go into your preferences menu and click on the "Force System Data" option. When I checked this option, the temperatures now match. And it seems to update pretty quickly.

Ah... I think you've figured it out

Selecting the "Force System Data" option in TempMonitor causes it to read the temperature that the Android OS logs and does not provide a real time view of the actual temperature.

Since you got the two programs to report the same temperature by selecting that option, I think SetCPU may be doing the same thing... using the temp as recorded by Android and not by looking at the temp sensor in real time.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
In further testing, I just stuck my Droid in front of the AC unit for about 30 seconds.

The real time temperature as monitored by TempMonitor is 22C. It's taken the SetCPU widget about four minutes to drop the reported temp down from 31C to now 28C.

The 'System Info' button in SetCPU is showing the same as the widget.

As before, I was able to get the exact same readings in TempMonitor by forcing it to display the system logged temperature instead of the real time reading. I am now completely convinced that SetCPU is using whatever Android is logging and not reading the temp sensor directly.

So the next question is why isn't SetCPU (or at least the widget / System Info) using the real time reading of the temperature?

This concerns me regarding SetCPU's failsafe profile. I can see the possibility of the temperature getting high enough to force the failsafe profile setting, but SetCPU not actually doing anything for a while because it hasn't seen that the temperature has gotten high enough due to reading the logged temp.

Thoughts?

... After typing all of this (on my computer), TempMonitor is showing the real time temp of 22C (my office is extremely cold) while SetCPU is STILL showing 28C.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones