Temperature sensor ?

Last Updated:

1. JasonOK

JasonOK New Member

Are there any smartphones that have sensor for outside temperatures ? Im pretty sure i have seen phone that could even measure outside temperature of an airplane ? And what application do i need to use if so ?

Im about to purchase the Samsung galaxy s2, but i cant find any information regarding sensors and correct apps yet.

Appreciate all tips. :)

2. chevanlol360

chevanlol360 Well-Known Member Developer

no, I don't believe so. There can be a temperature sensor in android devices, but it senses the temperature of the battery, not the outside temperature. It would not provide an accurate gauge for that purpose.

Device implementations MAY but SHOULD NOT include a thermometer (i.e. temperature sensor.) If a device implementation does include a thermometer, it MUST measure the temperature of the device CPU. It MUST NOT measure any other temperature. (Note that this sensor type is deprecated in the Android 2.3 APIs.)
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

You can get outside temperatures using weather information apps, like weather widgets or the accuweather app.
  4. chismay

chismay Well-Known Member

i had that old gsm nokia phone that did that it was the one with the rubber/plastic case that split in the middle and was supposed to be shock-proof....yeah right
  5. JasonOK

JasonOK New Member

Im talking about a sensor that can measure live temperature inside my house etc. not something from a weather center. ;)
  6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's an app for that. It's called a thermometer. Search your local hardware store.
  7. BigRex

BigRex New Member

You can also use the iCelsius Wireless. It was just launched on kickstarter by Aginova. They seem to have a API package.
  8. vosg

vosg Well-Known Member

Thermometer is an app in the playstore but it merely takes your location data and then gets the temperature from accuweather.com.
  9. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

I had an old java Nokia phone that sensed external temperature localy :)
  10. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The new SGS4 has a temperature sensor ...

funkylogik and Hadron like this.
  11. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

I've always found it interesting to research the data sources for accuweather, weather underground, et. al.

For many locations the data source can be as much as 60 miles away, from totally un-qualified sources with no quality-control or quality-assurance measures.

Any internet-reporting weather station on anyones roof is considered authoritative by such agencies.
  12. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

Any temperature sensor can only measure the temperature of the sensor itself, something to remember when a phone is kept in ones pocket or purse.
  13. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

... "temperature AND humidity levels" ... :D