• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Temporary Battery Life Solution

john0821

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
I turned this thread into my little DX journal ...

Bugs, Issues, Troubleshooting

Droid X manual - download here

Battery - My battery life is awesome now. I went to the main Settings > Battery Manager > Battery Profile > Smart Mode. After setting it to Smart Mode, I opened every app and adjusted its settings/preferences. I set everything to manual refresh/update. The only apps set to hourly updates are e-mail, weather, and sports ticker. Also, setting the screen brightness level to less than 50% helps. Another tip is to avoid using live wallpapers.

Advanced Task Killer - I can understand why some believe this is a useless app. In a perfect Andriod world without buggy apps, ATK would be unnecessary. However, it is easy to use when you do need for force kill a problematic app. As long as you go to Settings > Auto Kill Level > Disable, this sets it to manual mode instead of ATK autokilling apps. Set your ATK to ignore apps that you do not want to kill. If your cellphone is lagging, kill everything except what's on the ignore list. If you know which app is causing the lag, you can just select that app to be killed.

Signal Bug - I recently had signal issues with my DX where every hour, or so it seemed, the phone would vocally notify me with, "signal lost ... Verizon wireless." Visually, the signal bar would switch back and forth between 3G and 1X with the bars fluctuating from full to none. Dialing *228, prompt 2 has seemed to addressed the signal issues and returned the phone back to having excellent battery life. By doing this, it updates the PRL (preferred roaming list) which is the list of towers your phone uses. *22899 can be used to re-program your data connection.

Notable Apps

chart

Fancy Widget - SenseUI style clock/weather widget

Easy Root
1 click Root - This is the compatibility test, but it leads to the (now removed) Easy Root app.

Icons

LauncherPro Icons

3038m6u.png

DX Dock - credit Prophecy23

2cdwg7s.png

DX Eye - credit Prophecy23

little green android icons

red/black glossy icons #1
red/black glossy icons #2
red/black glossy icons #3
red/black glossy icons #4

Orb Glared
Orb Non Glared
Glass Orb

tons of free custom icons

Wallpapers

Flikie Wallpapers HD

35hmmoi.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge

2ik72gw.jpg

Asian Landscape

2z6utlf.jpg

Swirl

34pnqwx.jpg

Black & White Model Design

2dm9w0n.jpg

Pattern

i40rwp.jpg

Super Mario

1o999x.jpg

3D Mushrooms

24fg11z.jpg

Smurf House

5cawrp.jpg

San Francisco Giants

5amg68.jpg

San Francisco 49ers

9pyslz.jpg

Los Angeles Lakers

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones