• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TERRIBLE 4G reception.

I'm a few hundred yards from "taiguy" in Bellevue, WA (on 106th in the BoA building) and am seeing a similar issue. My comparison is with a Sprint OverDrive, but it gets a much more solid 4G lock, where as the Evo says its acquired 4G and then instantly drops it.

These are two devices, sitting inches from each other, exhibiting totally different reception characteristics.

However what's bothering me more with the Evo 4G is that regardless of 4G or 3G (I get a solid 3Mbps downstream in 3G) when I use it as a wireless hotspot while the phone is getting 3Mbps, the wireless devices I am using it with are barely getting 300Kbps, and that's with latency so high is laughable.

I am starting to think the Evo's 4G radio is worthless AND its hotspot function is compromised by having to run along side the phone software and that's killing its performance.

Sprint Customer Service are, of course, apparently unable to even understand the issue let alone attempt to confirm or remedy it. So I think this Evo 4G is going back.

Upvote 0
im not sure about everyone else, but im starting to believe that all this poor reception is due to a software issue. As some of you know, there has been reports from pretty much everywhere of people getting horrible signal while on wifi ( me included). Some people would have their phones right next to their router, and yet still the phone would show one bar of signal maybe two maxed. im starting to believe its the same thing with the Wimax (4G) signal that the phone is displaying. lets admit this Evo is NOT perfect, i already encountered a Bug with the FM radio transmitter which i created a post about that in another thread (Search). Remember this is a new release of a phone sporting a crapload of specs and features, we cant expect EVERYTHING to work perfectly for the first couple months, slowly but steadly it will all be ironed out. i just hope that Wimax doesnt remain as horrible as it sounds because if so then what the hell are we paying $10 for if we can only use 4G while outside in clear sky coverage?

another reason why i believe its software related is because when im connected to wifi, i get excellent speeds although the phone displays one bar of signal. with Wimax, several people are reporting getting 4+mbps speeds with only one bar ( if the phone really had poor wimax reception do you think you would be getting that speed? think 3G on older handsets where 1bar ment like 300kbps or lower)

Upvote 0
Chicago here. Exact experiences as everyone else.

• No 4G in areas where it is claimed to be covered, yet I know people nearby are using Clear.
  • Occasional notices that 4G is available with no ability to connect.
  • 4G connection established but its always zero or one bar. Speeds typically sub-3G.
  • 4G constantly scanning. Need to shut off 4G and turn it back on to connect to 4G in areas with excellent reception.
Not sure, but this may be a dealbreaker for me. I can handle the low battery life and Andriod's eccentricities, but a broken 4G implementation might be too much, especially when I'm paying $10 for the privilege of not being able to connect at work or home, where I am 90% of the time. Will Sprint address these complaints? Their tech support seemed clueless about 4G.

Upvote 0
My experience

Katy, TX

Clear Home Modem - 8-10mb down
Clear USB 7-8mb down
Evo 4g - 2.4 mb down
evo 4g 1.5 mb down
wifi - 1.5mb down (makes no sense, our wireless router is gives all our other comp, wimax speed)
so its the phone not wimax/clear/sprint service.

at GF house - she has very low wimax signal. clear home/usb loses out to her comcast internet. Coverage shows she isnt covered. yet the evo reads excellent signla but speed is horrible. 1mb down. 3g = 1.5-2mb and wifi 1.5-2mb

Upvote 0
Most of you I hope do realize that 4G is as spotty as 3G was years ago.

Even though Clear has been building up the network, its still spotty. And does the EVO even have the same radio as a Clear modem....considering they are two different tools being used. Where as the modem is completely dedicated to just picking up 4G, and nothing else. So of course the modem should likely have a stronger signal.

And yes 4G has to do with the signal strength and towers(There was a thread on here a couple days ago that had a link to 4G towers).

Infact yesterday I was in my friends area where 4G is on its last strands of coverage...where as my area Im right in the middle. I wanted to test it for him since he is considering switching to Sprint and getting an EVO.

Guess what???

I got 4 Bars of 4G in his area, where mine the most I have gotten is 2.....so it has to do with where those Towers are. And i have also seen 4 bars in Philly, especially at the Phillies stadium.....so 4G does work.

Edit: And for all those saying the $10 is for 4G, I swear search up old threads and the reasoning behind the charge.....it has nothing to do with 4G, and is actually a step(theoretically) for Sprint to beat its competition, its only because it is tied to the EVO that people think its for 4G.

Upvote 0
Most of you I hope do realize that 4G is as spotty as 3G was years ago.

Even though Clear has been building up the network, its still spotty. And does the EVO even have the same radio as a Clear modem....considering they are two different tools being used. Where as the modem is completely dedicated to just picking up 4G, and nothing else. So of course the modem should likely have a stronger signal.

And yes 4G has to do with the signal strength and towers(There was a thread on here a couple days ago that had a link to 4G towers).

Infact yesterday I was in my friends area where 4G is on its last strands of coverage...where as my area Im right in the middle. I wanted to test it for him since he is considering switching to Sprint and getting an EVO.

Guess what???

I got 4 Bars of 4G in his area, where mine the most I have gotten is 2.....so it has to do with where those Towers are. And i have also seen 4 bars in Philly, especially at the Phillies stadium.....so 4G does work.

Edit: And for all those saying the $10 is for 4G, I swear search up old threads and the reasoning behind the charge.....it has nothing to do with 4G, and is actually a step(theoretically) for Sprint to beat its competition, its only because it is tied to the EVO that people think its for 4G.

I'm not, personally, complaining about 4G coverage; my issue is that the 4G reception on the Evo is well below par. If you compare it to an OverDrive, in the exact same location (side by side), it won't hold a 4G signal lock where as the OverDrive is showing essentially full-signal.

That's not down to ANYTHING but lousy reception in the Evo. The only variable is the device in question, so the problem has to be with the device.

Given the issues with WiFi and Bluetooth, and very poor WiMax reception, and noting that all of these systems rely on radios operating at 2.4Ghz and 2.5Ghz I am starting to think that HTC have multiplexed the radio implementation. This would be one explanation why all THREE are so poor compared to other devices.

Of course it could be lousy antenna placement or design as well. And it might even be a software issue, but at this point I am inclined to doubt it.

But the bottom line is, in identical signal/coverage scenarios, the Evo performs vastly worse (to the point of not work at all) in terms of 4G reception/lock than it should.

There is no reasonable way to defend one device getting full signal and another being unable to lock and say there is nothing wrong with the device that is failing. You can explain it, in terms of engineering compromises, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Reactions: jmcging
Upvote 0
Same problems with 4G reception non-existent on my EVO sitting next to my Clear usb modem at 50% signal strength.

Had the pain of 4 hours with Sprint's "customer service" today. Went to two stores, neither would hook up the phone for a bench test. Spoke to two supervisors - second one I argued with for half an hour as he swore to me that Sprint and Clear are not using the same network. My answer was, then you are dumbest people on the planet, if you're building all the infrastructure twice.

Bottom line, no one would put in a ticket, the same answer every time was 'Well, you have 30 days to return the phone...'

Might just do that.

Upvote 0
There will be a software patch and a prl update put up to correct the 4g signal and timeout issue..

Do you have some evidence to back up this statement? Not trying to be hostile here, but I'm not willing to wait until I am stuck with an ETF to ditch this thing if no fix is forthcoming.

Talking to Sprint about results in the usual verbal-equivalent-of-a-blank-stare. Same with the lousy hotspot performance.

We don't even know if it IS a software issue at this point. The fact that there are WiFi, Bluetooth AND 4G issues makes me think HTC has done something stupid with the antenna design or are multiplexing the radios (WiFi and Bluetooth are 2.4Ghz, WiMax/4G is 2.5Ghz).

Upvote 0
There will be a software patch and a prl update put up to correct the 4g signal and timeout issue..

That will not fix the high band issue, which is the weakness of the wimax technology. Most techs have a weak spot- the only way to fix the main issue of this tech is to either lower the frequency, or change the building code to paper walls ;)

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.

Upvote 0
I get great signal with Clear almost everywhere I go in Atlanta. Just the opposite with the Evo though. I don't see an issue with the transmitted signal, only with my phones ability to receive it.

I hope IF there is an update coming, it has something to address this issue.

If not, I'll have to consider heading back to Verizon.

I respectfully suggest it is the opposite and the EVO is fine, but 4G is the problem, due to the high frequency not working well in structures.

Another issue is letting the EVO bounce from 3g to 4g. Best to turn off 4g unless a steady signal is available.

Upvote 0
I just pretend 4g doesnt even exists, its not even worth turning on in my area, Cuz with the 3G id already be done doing whatever i was doing waiting for the 4g to turn on , let alone prayingi have a signal, and that dont even mean much (got 400 kbs down on FULL BARS of 4g last weak INSIDE a sprint store)

with that being said, best phone Ive owned. Evo > 4G
Id never jmp ship over 4G, nobody else even has anything to call 4G yet so what are you missing from the other carriers? If the reason you bought this phone was purely for the 4g you have a problem

Upvote 0
I respectfully suggest it is the opposite and the EVO is fine, but 4G is the problem, due to the high frequency not working well in structures.

Another issue is letting the EVO bounce from 3g to 4g. Best to turn off 4g unless a steady signal is available.

Sorry, but I don't see how your suggestion makes sense. As I said - I'm sitting next to my clear card with 50% signal and the phone has bupkus (technical term). Same results in the Sprint Store near me - sprint card at 50% and the phone at nothing - by the way my wife's phone and the phone in the store had the same issue.

I just pretend 4g doesnt even exists, its not even worth turning on in my area, Cuz with the 3G id already be done doing whatever i was doing waiting for the 4g to turn on , let alone prayingi have a signal, and that dont even mean much (got 400 kbs down on FULL BARS of 4g last weak INSIDE a sprint store)

with that being said, best phone Ive owned. Evo > 4G
Id never jmp ship over 4G, nobody else even has anything to call 4G yet so what are you missing from the other carriers? If the reason you bought this phone was purely for the 4g you have a problem

Well, I guess Sprint should hope they have a lot of customers who feel the same way you do - and I'm not suggesting you should feel otherwise.

I, however, expect that when I live in a 4G market (Atlanta) where I've had 95% GREAT coverage with my clear service, buy a phone with 4G in the name and a 4G blitz marketing campaign, that 4G should actually work.

Upvote 0
So freaking agree. This phone is amazing and best 3G I ever had.

Got 4G the other day. One of the few areas here in Raleigh I can actually get it. And I was like, OK now. What do I need this for and couldn't come up with anything.

Good for you that you don't need it. I intended to use it for tethering my pc, and it's one of the main reasons I chose this phone.

My main point is this - if there is an issue with the phone, let's find it, address it, and get it fixed.

I don't think this is asking too much.

Upvote 0
Same experience here...Greensboro, NC. 4G connects but no bars...speedtest is abysmal. Couldn't even crack 500kbps. I am able to get 1.7mbps on 3G.

Greensboro was one of the first markets to get 4G so I was not expecting this poor of performance. I would have even been happy with 2.5mbps. Evo is still a great phone, but not a 4G phone.

Upvote 0
Just as an FYI, I went into a different Sprint store today, ostensibly to a) get a replacement if they could show me my unit was defective or b) to return the phone if they didn't have more/all worked the same way.

On the two demo phones they had set up, the 4G reception issues were the same. The Hotspot issues were also the same (about 1/10th of the speed the phone was getting directly) ... either on 4G or locked to 3G.

That's now 7 devices, in total, that I've tried these comparisons on, all with IDENTICAL results. The hotspot is far too slow to be justifiable given the VERY GOOD data rates the phone gets on 3G and when it's working on 4G.

Coupled with lousy 4G reception in areas where the OverDrive is kicking ass, weak-ass WiFi and poor Bluetooth it all just screams "botched radio/antenna design/implementation" to me. So I returned the device and will wait for the next Android phone of equivalent functionality ... preferably not from HTC (and definitely not from Samsung!).

Upvote 0
Same here in Houston. Downtown, Westchase, Bellaire. No 4G connection. Only place my Evo has connected at 4G AT ALL was in a sprint store on Westheimer and even then the data rates were slow.

I love the phone. Best 3G phone to date. I'll keep it, wait and watch. Either it will get fixed or Sprint will come out with a new phone in a year or so. If this one never gets fixed and a replacement becomes available, I'll get sprint to replace the EVO for the next one at that time. In the mean time, I'll use the best that there is.

Upvote 0
The expansion is being done like taking territory. One area gets it and they move on to the next. You will not see much improvement if your area has it now. Too much cost and too much area to cover to digress to areas that have it already.

The technology being used is the issue and the constraint. It will be interesting to see what the weakness of LTE will be. They all usually have at least one.

Upvote 0
Oh well, when I'm at home I have little reason to use it anyways as I'm usually on my laptop with my home connection. Plus with the penetration issues and battery issues, it seems I'm better off on the laptop anyways when I'm at home. Pretty much any time I'd use it I will be driving right into coverage. So I'm ok with it.

It would have been fun to play with during the learning stage of the phone. I use it constantly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones