• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Test a working lg740 cwm-based recovery v6.0.3.7

danhalen1

Sep 28, 2012
Wanted to start a new thread for this.
Finally resolved the DTB error, then the malformed fstab error i had in my previous build. This should backup all the partitions to the sdcard. It seems fine on mine so far just waiting for it to generate the md5. Only bootable in fastboot at this point.

This is the first and possibly only version i will be compiling and releasing. If there is a major bug i do not know if i will be able to fix it. If you are interested in picking up where i am or collaborating pm me.

You will most likely need the bootloader unlocked for this to work.

fastboot boot cwma1.img and it will boot into the recovery. Flashing it as the main recovery does not work at this point. Im not sure why. SO DO NOT FLASH IT AS RECOVERY.

dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8verc01kr8gnzq/cwma1.img

Assume anything you do to your phone will brick it.

I was just about to inform you of that too. So it only works via flash boot? That sucks. BTW when you type in reboot recovery via adb it boots to an error that you don't see when you power off and vol- + power.
huh what was the error given? Yeah it only works via fastboot Boot. It is somewhat annoying, but you can make a full backup without error to the sdcard. I have a feeling it might be a video setting or a kernel issue.

Upvote 0
I still haven't run this and have had a really busy day, but I just wanted to congratulate you all and thank everyone who made this possible. Big kudos to danhalen1 for creating the first custom recovery for this phone, this truly is a milestone accomplishment for the volt community, I'd also like to thank all the testers for testing everything and even sacrificing their phones, without the teamwork and everybody's help this wouldn't have been possible.

Reactions: mjhealy1978
Upvote 0
Any way to make this bootable from sdcard without computer?could a script be ran at boot to somehow make it work using init d or something?thanks for making this.really good to have a fix if ever in trouble.
I have no idea if it would work. If somebody wants to work on it by all means!

Can you restore the backup?
Have not had a chance to try it yet, my volt it also my work phone.

Upvote 0
I still haven't run this and have had a really busy day, but I just wanted to congratulate you all and thank everyone who made this possible. Big kudos to danhalen1 for creating the first custom recovery for this phone, this truly is a milestone accomplishment for the volt community, I'd also like to thank all the testers for testing everything and even sacrificing their phones, without the teamwork and everybody's help this wouldn't have been possible.
Yes I have no computer presently so I can't try this but I'm very grateful to everyone especially danhalen1 for all your work. It's a team effort & I hope to be able to help in any way! This Volt community has been very good to me! Thank you.

Upvote 0
Boot buddy could possibly work.it would run a recovery script at boot.just havent looked close yet.dont even know if it will work on this phone.lol...just throwin it out here.
Not sure just read up on boot buddy a lil bit so we use the image at boot and it should work, hopefully? I'm new so I'm trying to understand how it works! Bear with me please!

Upvote 0
Can you upload a update.zip version?
My VM build server crashed and burned, so at this point i dont have one anymore. I might see if i can fix it tomorrow, but if thats not possible i will have to create a new one and sync with cm11 source again. Im not in a big hurry to redo all my past work at this point.

Im not sure if the update.zip would even work. I dont think its possible to fix the DTB error in the zip file the same way i fixed it in the .img.

Upvote 0
the .img file has the ramdisk with the kernel and such inside of it. and the update.zip doesn't. I tried running update.zip from within the stock recovery on a extra ext4 formatted sd card before but the stock recovery didnt play nicely. So maybe you can fastboot boot the .img i made, then try flashing the update.zip, which is what you were talking about im pretty sure.
I found the update.zip which im pretty sure was the most recent from what i had compiled. I updated it with the fixed recovery.fstab. Ill pm you the link to test so nobody gets confused.

Upvote 0
I'll test it when I wake up again and get more time. I was doing a bit more testing today and found, to be more specific, the error given is boot certification verify, googling it looks like the bootloader is still not unlocked, but I'm not so sure it is locked. I was also able to successfully flash optimized dalvik, flash superuser (clock work superuser) and back up and restore nandroids.

Reactions: mjhealy1978
Upvote 0
This is what I get when attempting to install update.zip

-- Installing: /sdcard/Download/update.zip
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /sdcard/Download/update.zip
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Replacing stock recovery with ClockworkMod recovery...about to run program [/sbin/busybox] with 4 args
rm: '/etc' is a directory

about to run program [/sbin/busybox] with 4 args
rm: can't remove '/cache/recovery/command': No such file or directory
rm: can't remove '/cache/update.zip': No such file or directory
sh: invalid number 'root'
sh: can't kill pid 3464: No such process
sh: invalid number 'S'
sh: invalid number '/sbin/adbd'
sh: invalid number 'recovery'
sh: can't kill pid 200: No such process
sh: can't kill pid 1936: No such process
sh: invalid number 'R'
sh: invalid number 'grep'
sh: can't kill pid 16128: No such process
sh: invalid number '/sbin/recovery'
sh: can't kill pid 204: No such process
run_program: child exited with status 1
script result was [256]

Upvote 0
This is what I get when attempting to install update.zip

-- Installing: /sdcard/Download/update.zip
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /sdcard/Download/update.zip
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Replacing stock recovery with ClockworkMod recovery...about to run program [/sbin/busybox] with 4 args
rm: '/etc' is a directory

about to run program [/sbin/busybox] with 4 args
rm: can't remove '/cache/recovery/command': No such file or directory
rm: can't remove '/cache/update.zip': No such file or directory
sh: can't kill pid 3464: No such process
sh: invalid number 'recovery'
sh: can't kill pid 200: No such process
sh: invalid number 'R'
sh: can't kill pid 16128: No such process
sh: can't kill pid 204: No such process
run_program: child exited with status 1
script result was [256]

Huh, thanks for posting your log. I will have to setup a vm again to build cm and will try one last build and see what happens here. If it doesnt work, im out of ideas really.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones