1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Tethering? Nah, one step better

Last Updated:

1. bluesk1d

bluesk1d Active Member This Topic's Starter

Tethering is great and all but it requires tweaking on the computer OS to be able to do it. I suggest developing a wireless router application much like the open source DD-WRT router firmware lite version. This would make using your phone's 3G connection as simple as connecting to any other secure wi-fi network. For a limited time only I will offer up this idea to a dev and not even expect royalties! :p

Advertisement
  2. Scamp

Scamp Active Member

I like. Of course the concept of an army of people wandering around offering up WiFi access to everyone via their unsecured G1's would give the T-Mobile execs the screaming heebie jeebies.

3. bluesk1d

What early Android adopter is going to be walking around with unsecured wi-fi enabled? ;)

A nice big warning message about overage fees and such if you try to unsecure it should suffice.

4. Scamp

Scamp Active Member

Me! Me! Me!

(but that's just the anarchist in me that has to be let out every now and then.... )

5. mckinleytabor

mckinleytabor Member

There is currently an application for Windows Mobile that does exactly this.

http://www.wmwifirouter.com/

I can attest to the usefulness of the concept. On a resent multi-hour driving trip, we used a single mobile phone to connect three laptops and a PDA to the internet via this software, completely wireless*. It was SLOW, but we could check our email, update RSS, and otherwise amuse ourselves.

*we did have all sorts of wires running to cigarette lighter outlets and AC/DC converters getting power. :)

6. Scamp

Scamp Active Member

Damn. You just cost me $19.95. Thanks.

7. bluesk1d

lol! If I had WinMo, it would have cost me $19.95 as well.

8. Scamp

Scamp Active Member

I played with it last night. It was fairly painless to setup and seems to work except it kept dropping connection. I think it is somehow related to the phones power saver mode. Perhaps I will actually read some of the documentation tonight and see if they address this issue.

I was getting just over 100k performance out of it which is about what you would expect from Edge.

9. bluesk1d

Does it offer any cool routerish features like vpn tunnels or QoS?

10. Chainfire

Chainfire New Member

As one of the developers of WMWifiRouter, I can tell you that we are working on it :)

(and for those that already bought WMWifiRouter for Windows Mobile... your license keys may just work on Android as well...)

11. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

This just keeps getting better and better! (I don't have a key for WM, but I like to see the devs allowing their keys to be platform-independent!) :D

And anyway, this concept would still be tethering technically, just wireless tethering.

12. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

Work faster dammit! :D

13. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

Hey I happen to hate wires so this is great. Can't wait.

14. Manacit

Manacit Well-Known Member

As an android customer, I might just buy this software if it came out for Android, it looks awesome :D

15. porquepine

porquepine Well-Known Member

As someone who travels 30% of the time, this would be awesome! My only request is to make sure you can manage by MAC addresses or with a KEY so others do not jump on while surfing at the Doubletree Hotel in downtown Omaha NE which charges $9.99 per night for their crappy DSL service using a 2 foot wired connection!:D LOL

16. jcott28

jcott28 Member

I would for sure purchase this app. Would make my life so much easier when I travel to places that have no internet. On phone is all well and good for many things, but using the laptop; oh, what joy.

17. metallic9900

metallic9900 Member

I too would download and pay for WIFIROUTER for my G1. The Tetherbot app. is fine for now and I so thank the mastermind that created it, but I need an app. that'll connect anything I have on my pc not just a browser, as in yahoo messenger, etc etc. Full tethering from phone to G1 like WMwifirouter does. Hurry Hurry Hurry!!! I need a date when it's getting released because I want to be the very first person to buy it...lol

18. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

Yeah... I think I'd buy this as well... as long as I could track how much data I'm using so I don't get the T-Mobile Ban Hammer!

19. parrothd

parrothd Member

20. metallic9900

metallic9900 Member

Parrothd, the app. you are using is tetherbot correct?

21. parrothd

parrothd Member

I was using tetherbot.

Now I'm using dnsmasq & iptables and wifi...No more cable, or proxy settings, but the setup requires some Unix knowledge and you need root access.

22. grahamsz

grahamsz Active Member

Out of curiosity, are you able to do this with the published android APIs or are you having to put stuff together at a lower level?

I wrote the tetherbot app, but it doesn't feel like there are enough pieces available to run a wireless AP

23. Unitas

Unitas Member

I'd like to check that out but Unix commands and root access is what I'm sorely lacking. Outside of the DOS command line I'm rather dumb and blind. I went to the site you linked earlier on Graham's thread but much of it went over my head.

I understand inputting commands, it's just not clear whether the commands are made from the phone with a telnet app or from the host computer's telnet.

Is there a site that has taken the info on the xda-dev forum and made it more reader-friendly to us Unix-challenged folk?

24. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

NAt/Gateway app would be better. Router, of course. Ability to allow/disallow (kickout) people at will.

WPA/WEP, obviously.

25. BillC

BillC Member

Anyone heard anymore regarding WMWifiRouter? I'm ready to buy :)