• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text messaging...

veccster

Android Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010
Western PA
Why is it so freaking complicated on this phone?

Why do I have to view my texts as conversations? I like to see them in the order they came in.

Why do texts with picture and video attached not 'play'? Instead, they show up as having attachments (a song and a picture).

Why can I not figure out how to save a draft? I typed a message but decided I was not ready to send. Had to "discard" and retype later.

Is my smartphone smarter than me?

damn, even dumb phones have threaded text messaging now. I suggest you read, read, read, the forums, and spend time just using the phone. You will get it.

I took an entire day off from work to play with my new incredible. Setting up the UI, different apps, its a whole work in progress.

Upvote 0
damn, even dumb phones have threaded text messaging now. I suggest you read, read, read, the forums, and spend time just using the phone. You will get it.

I took an entire day off from work to play with my new incredible. Setting up the UI, different apps, its a whole work in progress.

Upvote 0
So you DO NOT want threaded messages?

Honestly, i have never heard of anyone wanting that, or even an app that does this. It might even be a system setting to have it like this no matter what.

As far as the messaging app i concerned, try download Handcent, it is an amazing app that shows you bubbled threads and allows you to enable pop up messages:
For example, i am typing this right now in my internet and i receive a text message, it pops up on top of everything and i can quickly, reply delete or close it. and once i do that i am right back to this typing!!!

Upvote 0
Why is it so freaking complicated on this phone?

Why do I have to view my texts as conversations? I like to see them in the order they came in.

Why do texts with picture and video attached not 'play'? Instead, they show up as having attachments (a song and a picture).

Why can I not figure out how to save a draft? I typed a message but decided I was not ready to send. Had to "discard" and retype later.

Is my smartphone smarter than me?

1.) That's just how the SMS/MMS client on DI is set up. That's how it is. If you'd like something different, I'd suggest looking in the app market to see if there's another client you might like better.

2.) Do you have a microsd installed? If not, this might be your answer. If so, then I really don't know other than to mess with the 'settings' menu ... which brings me to ... The MENU SOFTKEY works for more than just Sense. It works differently depending on what app or program you've got running. Try getting into your SMS/MMS client ( MESSAGES ) and then hit the MENU SOFTKEY. It will bring up a list of choices ( settings being one of them ).

3.) In the stock SMS/MMS client, if you hit the BACK SOFTKEY ( left arrowy looking key on phone ) after composing a message it will return you to your 'message view pane' and automatically save your composition as a draft. Then, from the 'messages view' screen you can hit the MENU SOFTKEY, then click DRAFTS, and that's where your message will be. You can click on it, edit it if you like, and then send it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones