• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text notification noise won't stop!

nattyville

Lurker
Dec 28, 2011
In the settings, I chose a notification noise for when I receive a text. This works fine. However, there's a separate "reminder" noise, for when I dont look at the text right away, that does not stop even after I read the text. It's a low "dunk" noise and occurs every few minutes. The only way I can clear it is to restart my phone. Any ideas on a way I can fix this issue? I should mention the icon showing a text msg has arrived (in the top bar of the screen) disappears after I read the text, the only issue is the ongoing tone.

If you are stock, just look for Reminders in your settings.

I found this post odd at first since there is no native reminder notification that sounds off any type of audible sound to let you know you missed a call or text message on Dinc2.
I figured that the user must have been using some type of app like handcent or easy reminder or something else...
I am on stock and when you miss a call, text or email, the notification light just blinks for 5 mins then stops and is not accompanied by any audible sound to alert you of the missed event.

Where is this reminders in settings you speak of?
Maybe I am overlooking something...

Upvote 0
I am not using Handcent. I am just using whatever came on the phone. Yes, I do get a green flashing light when I have a text message or some other notification. My phone, per my settings, makes a different noise to notify me a text or a talk or a email came in. They all ding one time. However, I get a "dunk" noise after the initial text message noise (which is NOT a dunk). This dunk will continue on indefinitely, even if I read the text message & haven't rec'd any others. It won't stop until I restart. I don't see Reminders in my settings. And I wouldn't mind the dunk if I actually had a new message to read. It's annoying it won't stop, and I can't find anywhere to turn off the noise or even change it.

I really appreciate the help - let me know if you need more info or if I am not making sense.

Upvote 0
My guess is that the "dunk" sound is not related to your text messages.

Yes, it absolutely is. I've had the phone for several months & have finally determined why/when it is happening. I don't get many text messages, so my phone is fine until I get a text and then that noise begins & doesn't stop whether or not I read it. It never happens otherwise.

Upvote 0
No. I just use the regular texting feature included w/ the phone. I really haven't added much, or anything that would seemingly involve my text features. My husband has the same phone & his doesn't do this.

I dont see an option to remove or change reminder notices. It's like its a flaw with my phone, not something that is even offered on this phone, and therefore no way to stop it. I think its telling I have to shut my phone off completely to get it to stop upon restart.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones