1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Texting reboots my phone

1. andrewnelson23

andrewnelson23 Well-Known Member

So on my Optimus V, last week it got bricked. Wouldn't even boot into custom recovery or fastboot. Thankfully I could get into e-mode. I loaded Optimus S firmware onto my V, and did all the instructions from this thread:

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...cked-lg-optimus-v-s-firmware.html#post4256987

My phone is now running on IHO Backside. It has full coverage, including 3g. The one problem I've been noticing in the past week is that occasionally I will send a text message, and my phone will reboot. It's kinda annoying because it takes a minute or two for it to reboot completely. Any ideas why that is? Or how to fix it? I tried switching messaging apps to no avail. Any ideas of how to fix this problem? Could it be a virus or something?

Advertisement
    :
  2. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Contributor

Looks like from that guide one of the steps involves you flashing the Virgin Mobile update which will update your phone to the new ZV9 radio image. There are some issues with the new radio and Gingerbread based roms (BACKside included) causing reboots during texting and data usage.

You only option is to put up with it or flash a Froyo based rom (stock, Harmonia 1.8 or Resurrected Bumblebee) until they work out a fix for this issue. A couple devs are working on updated kernels to fix this
  3. andrewnelson23

Oh. Okay great! Thanks man!
  4. kwknott

No Prob. I run BACKside myself and have the reboots every now and then. Just dealing until one of these kernels gets released
  5. riggerman1

riggerman1 Well-Known Member

Just my two cents, but I installed the update a few weeks ago. I use the latest build of mrg666's MiRaGe IHO variant. I had a few reboots in the first couple of days, but have been texting all day and haven't had any reboots.
  6. andrewnelson23

how long do you think it'll be til they release one? I think I'll just deal with it as well, I like gingerbread based.
  7. andrewnelson23

One interesting side note, I've been using MightyText all day, which allows you to text from your computer using your number and everything, and my phone hasnt shut off yet while using that. so that's interesting.
  8. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

ICS roms fix it
    kwknott likes this.
  9. andrewnelson23

10. CuriousNoob

CuriousNoob Well-Known Member

Not just ICS roms. Like Tvall said, Sprint kernels will also solve the problem. Flash Gingerkernel over on Optimus S - AndroidCentral.

Tvall also said, wait a few days or a few months. Has something to do with sources of the ZV9 update.
    kwknott likes this.
  11. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

This thread was moved!
  12. Thewraith420

Thewraith420 Well-Known Member

I'm useing hydrokernel (newer gingerkernel) on zv9 with backside but there is a screen wake bug and you'll need to know how to remap your home and menu keys. It does solve the reboot issue tho
    kwknott likes this.
  13. G19

G19 Well-Known Member

As annoying as the reboot is, I think I'll just deal with it for the time being.
  14. CuriousNoob

CuriousNoob Well-Known Member

Or order replacement. That's what I did. :p

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
  15. andrewnelson23

Nah. Tdm's ICS is really pretty cool. He's still developing, it but i like it enough to stay on it. And it's fixed the reboot issue.
  16. tvall

tvall Active Member

Hey... LG released the zv9 kernel source last night, and I released an updated kernel about an hour later. Mrg666 also patched Bob's kernel today. So... the issue should be solved, just need people to run them for a few weeks to confirm
    rooter1 and AndyOpie150 like this.
  17. lilrob1213

lilrob1213 Well-Known Member

where can I get one of these kernels to flash? I have been rebooting a few times today, I just flashed the latest Mirage ROM (4-27).
  18. kwknott

19. andrewnelson23

How do you flash a kernel? Just the same as flashing a rom? just wipe cache, data and dalvik and install zip from SD card? And what exactly is a kernel?
  20. tvall

tvall Active Member

Actually, you just flash it. No wiping required.
    The kernel... the core of the operating system (android in this case). Google + Wikipedia do a great job of teaching stuff like this
    kwknott and brotherswing like this.