• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"The contact doesn't exist" error message (not user profile related))

Tarndale

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Hi all.
Nexus 5 running 6.0.1
Stock Contacts and Google Messenger apps but Contacts come from (a) My office Exchange server (using NINE app) and (b) others added to phone manually.

Until the latest Android update (possibly) I could be using Messenger and then tap the Exchange contact's photo and be presented with their details (from Contacts presumably) for editing.

After the latest update ( not totally sure if this was indeed the turning point), tapping the Exchange contact's photo within Messenger is rewarded with the "The contact doesn't exist" error message.

My own user profile/photo is set and does not give this error from within Messenger.

Manually added Contacts (via the phone) do not show the error when tapping their coloured circle.

If I go to the Contacts App itself and tap on their photo, all the person's details are presented with no error message.

So, it seems, the Contact does 'exist' as shown in the Contacts-App but now the Messenger-App says otherwise.

I am guessing there is now a disconnect between Exchange-added contacts and manual phone-added people.
I have not tracked updates to either the NINE or the Google Messenger apps so cannot be sure of the precise time the problem showed up.

Any clues ?
Thanks.
Neil - New Zealand

It almost sounds like your exchange contacts are not being made available to the contacts data source that Messenger accesses. The contact photo may still be cached (which would result in it showing up), but when you tap it, it tries to get to the actual contact detail, and doesn't find it.

You may want to contact the Nine app developer to see if they have a suggestion on how to get this to work. Maybe removing the Nine app and re-adding it back might solve the issue (not sure)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones