• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The difference between IOS and Android app stores

spottyelephant

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2009
I know there's a crazy amount of apple fanboy and it's very biased in it's language, but I happen to think that this article is the best analysis of the state of the android market vs apples.

Personally I'm completely fed up with app spam in the market, and 8 months ago I was convinced Google would solve it. The rate of innovation in the market has been completely stagnant when looking at the platform as a whole, and I'm worried it could be Android's achilles heel - particularly in the piracy department. Having said that, their arguments of fragementation and in app advertising etc is are pretty weak, but I think the app spam and piracy issues have been hit on the head.

Have a read (page 2 is better than page 1 i think), what do people think?

I think the android platform in general has surpassed IOS in most ways now, but the market really is still rubbish :-(

As both an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Fascinate owner, I think the article is pretty accurate. I think the iTunes App Store is a bit like shopping at Macy's whereas the Android Marketplace resembles more of a flea market. Sure, you can likely find a lot of the same stuff in both places but the quality and selection at the flea market is hit or miss, with a fair share of dodgy dealers trying to shovel garbage passed off as "quality wares."

While I think the inherent feature set of Android (at least Froyo, which I'm running) is far greater than that of iOS, the overall implementation is still a work in progress and lacks the refinement and polish of iOS. So the user experience is therefore less than what I get out of my iPhone, even if the POTENTIAL is far greater.

In todays world, apps make the machine, not the other way around. Its been like this for the past 15 years at least. The Android Market needs some standards and it needs a curator to clean it up...it isn't going to do this 'naturally' and feels like a hippie commune by comparison to the App Store. Ironically, the hippies at Cupertino have given us a more white collar shopping experience than their roots would have predicted.....and its the hippies with their day-glo adware killing the Android Market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones